The Challenge of Understanding the Internet
Learning from a Book
How to Understand The Internet and Social Networking Sites
I am writing this hub strictly for my benefit, and of course those who join me in the frustration of navigating around the internet. I have read almost all the hubs on social networking, increasing views, and success in general on HubPages, as well as other writing sites. I am not a total dud using the internet and I have learned a few things on my own. Sometimes I find the instructions more difficult to understand than if I just started randomly pushing buttons. I say that with tongue in cheek. The instructions these talented writers provide are excellent for the average computer speaking person. I learned about computers and how to use them late in life, which in itself is a disadvantage. I sometimes go into serious panic mode when I have to follow instructions or directions. This is a plea for help as well as just venting my feelings.
What I Can Do
- Turn on the computer.
- Go to all my bookmarked sites on my bookmark bar and add and remove.
- I can work most of the social sites though not with great skill nor to my best advantage.
- I can write hubs and use "most of the capsules".
- I set up both Amazon, Google, Adsense and Ebay of which made me very proud.
- I cannot follow most instructions given by helpful writers and friends. This is strictly my fault and not their explanations.
- I can research topics adequately.
- I can use Google Adword tool.
- I can take pictures and download to my picture file.
- I set up a blog on Blogspot and Wordpress
- I know how to use the forum with questions and answers.
- I can comment on hubs.
Will I ever Learn?
What I Cannot Do
- I do not use most social networks to my advantage
- I can download a picture to Pinterest but not add another link to go with the picture.
- I still do not understand RSS and really how to use it.
- I have knocked off many people from Google+ but they fortunately came back.
- I don't understand referral tracker or how to use it.
That is just a beginning of what I don't understand.
I am looking but cannot see
So What Now?
After sleepless nights with icons floating in my dreams I am still trying to figure out what to do and how to do it. I need to let you know that though I am above average intelligence, I have major challenges with most mechanical and technical concepts and directions of any kind. However, I can learn a foreign language easily and create great marketing plans, and I am a good cook. I would like to have someone who is really adept at this standing over my shoulder and giving me instructions as I go along. I do know it is not an easy feat learning how to understand social networking and the workings of the internet, but I am trying.