How to Check Your Google Position The Easy Way
How To Make Delicious Homemade Donuts
Let's Use The Delicious Donut Hubpage
First let me say that I picked the donut hubpage to be the subject of this hubpage because,
- It is well written
- I like doughnuts (hmmmm)
- It has a hubscore of 96 (at the time of writing)
- It has lots of comments
- The author has a lot of fans
So, I am assuming the hubpage I have chosen to use as an example has longevity.
Some Keyword Research
I used to hate doing keyword research - that is until I leaned a way of doing it that wasn't so boring I'd rather look for dust in my keyboard.
I did a quick check of the keywords around the word donut and recipe, and found that the most often searched for phrases around this term were as follows with the number of times each term was searched for by people worldwide, yesterday.
- dunkin donuts (1798)
- donuts (749)
- donut recipe (103)
- free recipes (1842)
Free Monitor for Google
- Cleverstat Free Google Tool
Click on the Free Monitor for Google
Download This - Free Monitor forGoogle
So how is the donut page doing in Google?
We can use the (briefly) researched keywords above as an example of how to use the free tool by Cleverstat to find out.
- Download Free Monitor for Google from the link shown and intall it on a PC.
- Run the program and click on options/preferences and set the tool to check the first 100 results.
- Click on the green cross symbol to add your URL. In this case I added the URL of the donut hubpage.
- Then click on the notepaper icon (white and described as edit keywords when you hover your cursor over it), and add each key phrase, one per line, by clicking the Add button after each one.
- Lastly, click the Search icon (like a magnifying glass).
- Free Monitor for Google will display the poisition your page is to be found in Google
What Does This Mean?
So for example, if the Monitor indicates that you are in position 31 for a term, it means you are on page 4 of the Google results, as there are 10 results (by default), per page.
Free Monitor for Google
For the following phrases, the dounut hubpage was at the following position in Google.
- delicious homemade donuts : position 1 : ( in other words on page 1)
- donut recipes : not in the first 10 pages
- homemade donuts : position 13 : (in other words on page 2)
- how to make donuts : position 29 : (in other words on page 3)
- dunkin donuts: not in the first 10 pages
- delicious donuts : not in the first 10 pages
(Now bear in mind, I am in the UK and if you check these rankings from a different location, on a different day they can all change. It really depends on the data centre that you end up using for your Google search. In any case, your results may be slightly different)