Why Texting messages are becoming inauthentic form of communication?
Importance of Audible Phone Conversation
There is a belief in our society that conveys that robots will take the responsibilities of human beings. This means these robots may be described as personal nouns because they will be functioning like human being.
Before cell phones were invented, we had landlines in homes. Prior to home landlines, people communicated in different forms. One way of communication was to physically write letters and place them in the mail boxes. This means they took the time and made the effort to be thoughtful and intentional in communicating desire thoughts and understanding. When people received letters, they were exhilarated and thankful to be the recipients of well written thoughtful communication.
When landlines became available, people take the opportunity to be more personal in their conversations. Home phones provided families to share how they felt about each other. There were few characteristics that landlines provided to people. The first characteristic was the ability to hear audible voices of people on the receiving end. Many people really appreciated the gift of human sounds that travel through phone transmitter. Then, people vividly expressed natural emotions and this constitutes the second positive characteristics land telephones. On the phones, people could identify several emotions of other persons. For example, when a person cried during conversation, the receiver was able to feel and sympathize with such emotions. Similarly, when a person laughed on the telephone during conversation, the person on the other end enjoyed such authentic expression. People anticipated telephone calls from domestic to international because they wanted to experience real and natural conversations.
Back to earlier thought about robot fulfilling human responsibilities. Text messages are becoming like a robot that are used to express human emotions. People are moving rapidly from phone verbal conversations to texting messaging. We are under appreciating the significance of communicating via face to face and verbal telephone pathways. In some ways, human beings are being satisfied with robot conversation, which is far from authentic and natural communication.
Cell phones text messaging(long conversation) are hurting family and other people in the society. Many people are not having meaning and voice to voice and face to face conversations with one another. It is my opinion that people are avoiding real and authentic conversation for few reasons. 1) they make excuses, 2) they are hiding their true selves, 3) They are dishonest, 4) Parents are failing to establish traditional family talk, 5) young people are developing and translating unverifiable texting messaging words to be real thoughts.
1) I have people argue that they prefer to have cell phones text messaging because it is fast communication and they do not have time to pick up phone. This is definitely excuse. The idea is if a person has time to text for few minutes, they certainly have the time to simply dial telephone numbers. Texting takes time and tedious. Another excuse is the time issue. The moment a person is able to text, this person has equal time to make a phone call.
2) Some people utilize text messaging because they want to hide real and authentic feelings of expression. I think this point is the main reason of my writing today. The importance of having audible phone, Skype, and face to face conversation is understatement. Audible phone conversation provides positive feedback for both people on the line. During conversation, you will know the person one is talking with are real by voice tone, laughs, emotions, etc. During texting messaging, you do not get all these great benefits. The invention of Skype adds to the benefits of conversation with people.
3) People use text messages to be dishonest. We know that some people are able to lie our face without a blink. So I am not arguing that people cannot be deceptive during phone audible conversation. Some people use texting to say something to me that they cannot tell me on my face because they feel the truth will be obvious. Therefore, they become manipulators by using words that they do not mean or use expressions that are contrary to their personalities.
4) Children are learning to embrace texting words from parents rather than receiving verbal loving messages from parents. This is becoming apparent in our communities. In the past, parents sat down with children, teenagers, and adults and engaged in family time of talking and laughing with each other or at times sharing deep upsetting emotions. The real and authentic conversation are what God wants from us among each other. We need to come back to bonding by verbally communicating and our future offspring will learn to past on what the benefits of verbal, face to face, and audible phone conversation.
5) Young people are believing the words of text messaging more than believing verbal communication. This is tragic for the future of our generation. Specifically, I want to address this portion to our young teenagers, adults, and women in general. Some teenagers are equating how boys feel about them with texts they receive from guys. Guys manipulate what they say and young women get trapped by words from texting messaging. For example, a young teenage boy might express via text how he thinks girls are pretty, but they cannot express that in person. The problem is these young girls lower their standards and accept manipulative words from these young boys. Just think about potential scenario deriving from this kind of conversation.
As society, we need to continue to appreciate the privilege of having cell phones. Texting should not replace telephone calls. We need to communicate deep and important subject matter face to face, audible phone conversation, or perhaps via Skype. We do not want have robot feelings; we want God-given authentic conversation.
Food for Thought:
Two characteristics of Biblical God are as follows: Biblical triune God is omniscient and omnipotent. In the context of text messaging, God requires us to pray with our mouths and minds because God wants us to worship with our hearts, soul, minds and bodies. God appreciate these forms of true worship and text messages are not one of them. Imagine texting all the time, people will be engaging in robot type of conversations. We cannot text God LOL and expect God to type back LAUGH OUT LOUD.
Future of Texting
Text messages are becoming like a robot that are used to express human emotions.
Give me a piece of your mind
view quiz statistics
Participation is a must
What is the definition of Robot Conversation in this essay?
© 2014 Michael Obeng