- Internet & the Web»
- Social Networking
Why Is My Facebook Account Locked Or Disabled?
Why Was My Facebook Account Locked or Disabled?
Millions of people log into Facebook everyday. We upload details of our lives to it, share photos, use it to connect with friends, colleagues, loved ones and even run our businesses on it. For many it has become one of those things that you feel you cannot live without.
Imagine then trying to login one day and being told your account was disabled. Facebook can actually lock or disable your account at any given moment. Then may restrict you whilst you are logged in, or may prevent you from logging in at all.
There are a number of reasons as to why they do this and as long as you know why, in most cases, the way to resolve it is relatively simple, albeit frustrating.
You may have tried to access Facebook account one morning, and been confronted with a message that your account had been disabled, or locked for security reasons. This would definitely come as a shock and without any reason given you will feel helpless.
Let’s go through some of the possible reasons as to you’re your Facebook account was locked or disabled.
Common Malware Concerns
Be aware that if you click onto something on Facebook that is a hoax or scam, it may cause your account to be locked.
You may have been tricked into clicking on something on Facebook that lead you offsite:
- Facebook Profile Viewer: Claiming you can see who is viewing your profile
- Promising To Fix: A message convincing you to install something to help you fix a problem that does not even exist.
- Videos: Random messages that say "view this video! omg! i can't believe she did this!", or "is this you? did you know this picture of you is on this site?".
These are very common problems and it is one of the ways that hackers and phishers gain access to any steal your account.
Reasons Why Your Facebook Page May Have Been Locked or Disabled
- Fake Account: If you didn’t use your real name Facebook will eventually find out.
- Misrepresenation: If you created a page that impersonates a person or entity it will be locked or even closed without warning.
- Groups Joined: You have joined too many groups. The maximum limit is 200 groups per user.
- Spam: If you posted too many messages on a wall or in a group in a too short time span, it can be considered spam.
- Friends: You may have friend-requested too many people. Facebook has instituted a maximum 5000 friends policy so this reason should be a rarity.
- Under Age: You are under 18 years old and not part of a High School group.
- Offensive Content: You wrote offensive content.
- Frequency: You may have sent “too many” friend requests or made “too many” wall posts (especially with identical content) in a short time frame.
- Hacked: Somebody may have tried to gain access to your account so Facebook needs you to verify you are who you say you are.
- Malware: If it's a potential problem, you will be presented with a upon logging in, prompting you to scan your computer. Even though you may already have an up to date virus program be aware that malware isn't actually a 'virus' so it may not be detected.
Why You Should Read The Terms And Conditions
In many cases, your Facebook account will be locked or disabled because you have violated one of the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you joined up.
Did you actually read them before you simply ticked the "Agree" box? Many people don't because they are long, wordy and full of terms that are hard to understand.
Here are some important reasons why you should always read the terms and conditions before joining any site, or signing up to anything! A must read!
How Can You Reactivate Your Locked Facebook Account
If you're locked out of your account, you may have the option to reset your login info by one of two methods:
1) Answering Your Security Question:
- Simply follow the prompts and answer the questions to prove you are who you say you are.
2) Getting Help From Friends:
- Select a friend on Facebook who you trust, and provide them with the nominated URL which they need to visit to retrieve a security code.
- Once you have that code you need to enter it where prompted.
Regardless of the method you choose, be are that after you complete one of the security checks there is a 24 hour waiting period (at minimum) before any changes in your account or page status will be seen. During this time, your account is still visible on Facebook but you won't be able to access it.
More Facebook Related Help
- Why Was My Facebook Page Deleted?
Have you or someone you know had their Facebook Page deleted? Whether you have only 1 like or tens of thousands, unless you abide by Facebook's terms and conditions it can be deleted without warning.
- Why Does Facebook Keep Logging Me Out?
As frustrating as this is there are a number of possible reasons, and in almost all cases the issue can be resolved almost immediately. Here are the most common reasons for Facebook logging you out.
- Why Won't Facebook Let Me Log In?
Millions of people log into Facebook everyday around the world. We chat, we conduct business and we share information. There are times when we cannot login. Here are common causes and easy solutions
How To Avoid Your Account Being Locked or Disabled:
Sometimes your account is locked without warning and as the hands of another unauthorised party however where you do have control there are a few measures that you can take so that you do not have your account locked or disabled again:
- Take time to build up a network of page fans, likes and friends. You can always join in Facebook ladders too. But remember to focus on quality, not quantity.
- Limit friend requests and also the number of posts that you make in a short period of time.
- Adhere to the terms and conditions.
- Don't put all your eggs in one basket - if you are using Facebook for business marketing, include it in your strategy but consider using other social networking sites such as LinkedIn, Google Plus and Twitter, and building a following on them also.
Do you remember life before Facebook?