quicksand profile image 81

How Do I Reduce The DC Output Of A Step-Down Transformer From 14V To 12V?

I have a handheld drilling machine purchased in the UK, which operated on a re-chargable battery. After many years of usage, I find this battery cannot be charged any more, and these batteries are no longer available. However, the step down transformer that was used to charge the battery has an output of 14V DC. The driller needs a supply of 12V DC to operate. I intend utilizing the transformer's output to supply power to this gadget. Do you know any simple method to reduce the voltage from 14V to 12V. If I need to use resistors, please mention the color code. Much obliged for your attention.

wandererh profile image81

David Lim (wandererh) says

• quicksand profile image

quicksand 5 years ago

Thanks Wanderer, the output is DC as it has already been rectified by an inbuilt circuit. Otherwise it won't be able to charge the battery. I intend buying a Black & Decker to simplify things. Would be useful on the long run. Thanks anyway. :)

• quicksand profile image

quicksand 5 years ago

It will, but I guess not for long. I fear that a voltage overdose might cause the motor to burn up. So I don't wanna take a risk. Thanks anyway! :)