innerspin profile image 87

Should a laptop be switched off when not in use?

My laptop is two and a half years old. It's just started having an intermittent problem with rainbow stripes appearing on screen. They go away when I change the screen angle. My husband now says (after two and a half years) I should be switching it off when not in use, rather than let it go into hibernation mode. Is that right? I didn't think leaving it on was a problem. Note, it is switched off overnight.

Oneit profile image71

One IT Ltd (Oneit) says

• innerspin profile image

innerspin 4 years ago

Thank you, My laptop never seems to overheat, though it does get carried around at times. I'm always careful where it's left to rest. Will keep an eye on the intermittent problem.

LindaSmith1 profile image59

LindaSmith1 says

• innerspin profile image

innerspin 4 years ago

Thank you, sounds like what I'm doing. Overnight it's switched off and unplugged, the power cable is also switched off at the socket.

kknde profile image60

kknde says