1. Figure out your power usage and size of system you need.
2. Buy manufactured products.. kyocera, sanyo make the best panels, deep cycle batteries, charge controller, inverter.
3. Assemble these IAW instructions for each part you bought. This may not seem obvious but you can put it together using the diagrams each component comes with.
4. You tube has some great videos about how to wire everything together.
5. If you are going to do this legally and tie it to the grid or have it off grid but tied into your homes electrical system then higher an electrician to do this for you. This is important, the tax credit you get must be verified by a licensed contractor / electrician and within code.
There is really a lot more to it but that is the best answer I can give with such a short notice... and limited webspace.