Best MacBook Pro Case (13 inch) 2017
A top quality case always needs to fit several requirements, if it is going to satisfy the most discerning purchasers.
- First of all, it should be tough enough to eliminate, or at least minimize potential damage to your laptop from scratches, bumps, dirt, dust, stains, and fingerprints.
- Secondly it should be functional and easy to use, with additional features, such as extra storage pockets, if required.
- Thirdly it should comply with your budgetary requirements and offer excellent value for money.
- Fourthly it should be hard wearing and durable.
- Fifthly, the case should be a snug fit for your machine, preferably designed specifically for the model that you are using.
- Last but not least, it should have an attractive and appealing appearance that suits your tastes and style, as well as being fashioned in a way that feels good to the touch.
Types of Cover
Cases come in many styles and designs, and can be made from different materials.
Two common styles are the sleeve, which normally zips shut, and the hard shell, where the cover clips around the Apple laptop to form a protective layer.
- Sleeves are great for providing quick access to the notebook. Some also have additional features, such as extra pockets for storing small accessories. Sleeves are constructed from different materials, each with their own specific advantages and disadvantages.
- Hard shells provide an excellent guard from damage to the notebook. They can also be great for the customizing the color of your Apple. They generally offer more protection that sleeves, especially when it comes to bumps.
I hope that you enjoy reading my top selections for the best MacBook Pro case (13 inch) 2017 and find it useful.
#1 Best Hard Case for MacBook Pro Retina Display Model: The Mosiso: Attractive and Durable!
This Mosiso Rubberized Cover is a two piece snap on shell that is a perfect fit for the newest version of the Apple laptop.
Hard wearing and durable, it will minimize or eliminate damage to the laptop from scrapes and impacts.
It has a smooth rubberized finish and is made of shatter-proof plastic. You can use all the ports and plugs without having to remove the cover and a cool design feature means that the laptop's Apple logo shines through the cover.
The Mosiso is easy to install and available in a variety of cool colors including yellow, black, green, pink, gray, blue, hot blue, orange, purple, and red.
A Brief History of the Mac Pro
The first generation of this portable laptop model was introduced in January 2006 by Apple Inc. It had a similar apearance to the PowerBook G4, but instead of PowerPC G4 chips, the new laptop used Intel Core processors.
The first second generation model appeared in October 2008 and was known as a "unibody". It had a sleeker design with a casing made from a single block of aluminum. Subsequent upgrades included the introduction of Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and Intel's Thunderbolt technology.
The latest version of the 13 inch Mac was introduced to the world at Apple's San Francisco Fall Keynote Address on October 22, 2013. As well as the update to the display, giving much higher resolution, the third generation laptops also features the Haswell chipset.
The newest version still keeps a unibody design, but has lost the optical drive. They also have solid-state drives instead of hard disk drives.
Non-retina versions of the laptop are now being phased out, with prices dropping accordingly.
Cover Construction Materials
- Hard cases are typically made from a tough polycarbonate with a rubberized coating. These covers usually snap on and so can be added and removed as required. They provide an excellent combination of protectiveness, appearance, and feel.
- Sleeves are usually made from materials such as neoprene, felt, and leather, They fasten with a variety of methods including zippers, and buttons. Sleeves provide a stylish way to protect your laptop. Some sleeve construction materials have specific advantages: for instance neoprene is water resistant, as well as being durable and protective against scratches.
- In addition, there are screen protectors, which may or may not come with your case. The best MacBook Pro screen protectors are designed to minimize glare, as well as protect the screen from fingerprints, grease, dirt, and dust.
Another Top Rated Hard Cover for the Newest Version!
Hard covers have numerous advantages.
- They provide excellent protection from knocks, scratches, dirt, dust, and grease.
- They are usually easy to install and remove as required, most of them just snap on.
- They are typically very durable.
- They typically come in a range of different colors, enabling you to choose your favorite.
The Kuzy: Rubberized Coating For Premium Protection!
This classic hard shell is available in a wide range of colors. Made from high-quality polycarbonate with a rubber coating, the Kuzy is attractive in appearance and feel, and will minimize any potential damage from bumps and scratches.
The two piece snap on shell is easy to install and remove and has built-in vents to ensure effective heat distribution. The Kuzy doesn't block access to any of the Apple's ports or other features, once installed.
Best Hard Case for the Unibody Model: The iPearl mCover: Tough, Trendy and Lightweight!
The iPearl mCover is a high-quality 2-piece hard shell.
It is constructed from translucent DOW polycarbonate material - that means that it is lightweight, as well as being sturdy and protective. It is designed to fit the A1278 model with black keyboard perfectly (not suitable for the white plastic A1181 or A1342 models).
The iPearl has an attractive, ergonomic design. As well as AQUA (pictured), it is available in many other colors too, including purple, green, clear, black, aqua, pink, red, and orange, enabling you to select your favorite look.
Another Excellent Unibody Cover: The Speck Products See-Thru: Vibrant and Velvety!
The Speck Products See-Thru Satin Shell enables you to give your laptop a new, vibrant color and a velvety finish, as well as providing hard shell protection to minimize scratches and scrapes.
The cover can be snapped on and off with ease, whenever required.
The design is practical, so you can still access all your ports and the CD/DVD drive, plus there are built-in rubberized feet so that it doesn't move around when you're typing.
It is available in a variety of colors, including grape purple, peacock blue, malachite green, pomodoro red, aubergine purple, and bubblegum pink, as well as black.
Best 13 inch Sleeve: The Caselogic: Water Resistant and Very Durable!
Caselogic make some great products, which manage to be both attractive and functional, and the PAS-213 is no exception. This neoprene sleeve is smart and sleek with a padded interior for extra protection.
The sleeve has a special "power pocket", designed to provide storage for a power adapter and be an easily accessible pocket for small accessories, such as USB drives and memory cards.
A cheap case to buy, but not cheaply made, neoprene construction makes it water resistant, as well as being an effective guard against bumps, scratches, dirt and dust.
Another Top Rated Sleeve!
Sleeves have several advantages over hard cases.
- They are quick and easy to use, slipping your laptop in or out.
- Many are made from neoprene, making them water resistant.
- Many have extra pockets giving additional space for storing small accessories.
Chic and Functional: The Kinmac New Bohemian!
The Kinmac New Bohemian Style canvas fabric sleeve is both chic and functional. It also won't hurt your bank balance too badly, thanks to competitive pricing.
The neoprene and canvas fabric guard the laptop against damage from scrapes and bumps, as well as providing a great look and feel for this cute carrying case.
Best Unique Design: Twelve South BookBook: Quality and Security!
Out of all the products in my list, I think that the Twelve South BookBook must be my favorite. This high quality, hardback leather product is easily the coolest and most original way to protect an Apple that I've found.
The design disguises your tablet as a vintage book when not in use, discouraging theft, as well as keeping it protected from everyday threats, such as impacts and scratches when you are transporting it.
The BookBook is available in Classic Black or Vibrant Red and is designed specifically to fit a 13 inch model (A1278/with or without Thunderbolt) with black keyboard only.
Review of the BookBook
© 2012 Paul Goodman