Blog Foundations - Unique Approach, Content & Monetization
There are several areas that need to come together to create a worthwhile and engaging blog that can survive over the long term. Once you've had a good idea for a blog, found your niche and worked out what your audience needs, it's vital to have a unique approach and to create awesome content.
Polishing and refining the approach and content on your blog is the best way to make it resonate with your audience. The right article, focused in the best way, written in an interesting style is almost impossible to ignore. This article explores ways to create your own unique approach, the importance of good content and how to monetize your blog. We'll explore the following topics:
- Having a unique approach or selling point - This will set you apart from the competition and help you stand out in the minds of your readers
- Creating great content - The golden rule: content is key, so write articles that can't be ignored and will be read and shared by others
- Realizing that monetizing a blog is hard - There are ways, but it can be a struggle; you'll need to tweak and test to find out what works for you
Having a unique approach or selling point
For your blog to really resonate with people, you need to say things in a way that's very interesting or different. That might be:
- Your tone of voice or style of writing - You might have a unique way with words. Your writing style might be naturally quirky, challenging or interesting
- Deep insight into your subject matter - You could have a very deep understanding of what you're writing about
- Your approach and ideas - Perhaps you think about your subject in a very creative way and provide alternative viewpoints for readers
- Authority - Because you know your subject, you might write with considerable weight and authority, sharing your expertise with others
It's important to spend time thinking about what it is that sets your content and writing apart. Understanding your niche and your audience are the first steps in doing this, but you will need to build on this and refine your approach so that it's impossible to ignore.
Creating Great Content
This is the most important principle of having a blog that gets noticed. Creating great content is definitely the best thing you can do to ensure the long term success of your blog. Great content means that:
- You'll get listed in search engines (Google loves content-rich sites)
- Other blogs and sites will link to your content, bringing you more readers and better search results
- Your readers will come back again and again because your content satisfies their needs
- The blog posts will be more interesting for you to write because you'll have to work to make them awesome!
- Your site will become an authority in it's field and will gain recognition and a following
There's no shortcut to writing great content, it takes time, effort, testing and tweaking. Content really is the most important thing to spend your time on, Craft each post, rather than trying to churn it out as quickly as possible; that will pay dividends in the long run.
Don't ever rush your content; it's far better to have 10 lovingly written, beautifully edited, relevant, rich blog posts than 20 mediocre ones. The internet is already awash with mediocre blog posts, make yours stand out.
Realizing that monetizing a blog is hard!
You can set up and start writing a blog in ten minutes or less, although you will have a far better foundation if you spend time thinking about your blog carefully rather than creating it on a whim.
Turning a blog into a successful income stream is going to take time; there are millions of blogs and other pieces of information vying for people's attention, so set realistic expectations on how much money you are going to make and ensure you're in this for the long haul!
The main ways that a blog can make money are:
- Contextual Advertising
- Affiliate Marketing
- Selling your own products
- Getting paid to write
All of these methods require either substantial traffic, products you can sell or building a reputation in your field, but if you're dedicated to your blog, that's certainly achievable.
Create better, quicker content for your blog
Do you have your own blog?
If there's one thing to remember, it's that content trumps everything else.
Create great content, and the rest will follow.Spending time crafting and polishing content until it is perfect will give your blog the best chance to shine.