12 Things to Know about Buying Ringback Tones
Customizing your cell phone
So, you have a cell phone and have customized rings to let you know when a specific person(s) call, but now you want to make your mobile phone even more tailored by assigning ringback tones (also called an answer tone) and other personalized features like graphic wallpaper. However, you aren’t sure where to get started.
You can buy ringback tones on a variety of websites as well as your mobile phone provider’s site. They can cost as little as .99 each plus a monthly user tone fee to packages of music from various artist for $9.99. However, before you log on to the ringback tone website of your choice, there are a few suggestions you may want to consider:
1. Be sure to use the identification code for the tone you want to the provider’s ringback tone you are using.
2. Set up text alerts for new releases by your favorite artist.
3. Think about who will be calling (friends, family, co-workers, etc…) and choose your ringback tones accordingly.
4. Variety is the spice of life. Consider setting your ringback tones to play in a random order.
5. The average lifecycle of a ringback tone is 12 months from the date of purchase.
6. Don’t over-purchase, most cell phone providers can only handle a pre-set number of ringback tones per mobile phone.
7. If you are planning to change to a new cell phone provider go ahead and choose one that has ringback tones included in the package.
8. Find out whether your mobile phone provider offers this feature. While the majority of cell phone companies do, there are some who do not yet do so.
9. Sign up online for your provider’s ringback tone package.
10. Have fun listening to the selection of songs, jokes, instrumentals and even a feature offered by Sprint known as a Name Tone that allows you to leave a personal message for selected callers.
11. Your ringback tone purchase is completed when the tone has been added to your cart; there is usually a fee.
12. Maintain your ringback tone through your provider to ensure everything works as it should.
Buying a ringback tone is a great way to personalize your cell phone. Just be sure to read the fine print. Before you know it, your phone can be as unique as you are.