- Internet & the Web
Convert a Picture to Text
Photos to ASCII Text
If you used computers in the 70s or 80s you will remember creating computer art using just ASCII text characters. It was not easy to create designs using just the 128 characters - but folks did it. And now, with Photo2Text, you can automate the process - take a graphic image and create a text image like the one shown to the left. It's retro-fun and easy to email your text picture - no need for attachments, just drop it in as text. And if you have fun with Photo2text, we also highlight a few similar applications - also free and fun!
Convert Your Photo Into A Text Version
What is ASCII art?
ASCII Art is the art of drawing diagrams and pictures using the "American Standard Code for Information Interchange' or ASCII character set. Essentially it is drawing pictures using only the characters that are on the keyboard. ASCII art dates back to the early days of the computer age when fancy screens and graphics programs had not been created yet - all you had was a keyboard and your imagination.
- One cool feature of ASCII art is that can be used in e-mail simply by copying and pasting it into the e-mail. Some email will block images, but this is just pure text.
- One challenging feature of ASCII art is you must view it with a fixed-width font, such as Courier or Fixedsys. If you see ASCII art and things don't look right, they don't line up - that means the text has been converted to a proportional font which tries to adjust the width of each letter depending on prior and next letters.
- If you get creative, you can bury your initials (or a short name) into the art as your signature!
Sources for ASCII Art
If ASCII art intrigues you as much as it does me, there are a few great resources on the Internet. I recommend you check out ASCII World for some great examples - ranging from aliens, to animals to my favorite - Mr. Potato Head.
Beautiful in person and in ASCII
Wordle - Wordle.net
Wordle is a toy for generating "word clouds" from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.
Text to Image
One of the easiest ASCII converters is Text-Image.com and a great sample creation is shown above. Text-image.com offers the "traditional" image to ASCII option - my favorite. But it also has an option to create HTML text which will allow you to re-create these images in email, on blogs and on even on other web sites.
When did you first hear about or see ASCII art?
Other Tools For ASCII Art Creation
- ASCIIFlow Infinity
Create ASCII images and diagrams. Includes the ability to save directly to Google Drive as well as classic editing features like resize, freeform draw, and export straight to text/html.
- JavE - Java Ascii Versatile Editor
JavE is a free ASCII editor.
- Sig Software - Email Effects - ASCII Art Editor
Great tool for creating ASCII art - perfect for email signatures.
Pikachu's Summer Vacation -- ASCII Art
© 2009 Edit Photos