- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software
Creately - Online Diagramming and Collaboration Tool
Quickly Draw Diagrams Online With Easy to Use Tools
Creately is an online diagramming software that is quickly emerging as a cost effective alternative to Microsoft Visio. Creately is primarily an online diagramming tool with special emphasis on collaboration.
In today's business world where companies are outsourcing a lot and employees of the same organization works in distributed locations online collaboration has become very important and Creately address this issue in an effective way.
Cost effectiveness is not the only advantage Creately has over Microsoft Visio, the desktop version of Creately runs on Mac and Linux as well, making it the perfect diagramming tool for people working on multiple platforms. Since you can sync your diagrams with your Creately online account, you have the ability to access them from anywhere in the world as long you can connect to the Internet :-) .
A single user license is only $5 Creately supports almost all the diagrams used in real world scenarios. Team plans are available at discounted prices. Below are some of the diagrams supported by Creately.
- Venn Diagrams
- UML Diagrams
- Database Diagrams
- Business Process Models
- Data Flow Diagrams
- SWOT Diagrams
- Data Flow Diagrams
- K12 Educational Diagrams
- Office Network Diagrams
- Org Charts
- Mind Maps
Features of Creately
Listed below are some features that sets Creately apart from other online diagramming tools.
- 1 click create and connect - In a typical diagramming tool if you want connect add two objects and connect them you need to drag and drop the objects and connect them manually using a connector. With Creately context toolbar you can do that in one single click.
- Professional color palette - Our color palette is specially designed based on themes. This makes it easier for users to stick to 1 color theme, whether its rainbow colors, flat colors or any other color theme.
- Smart objects - Our objects are not mere images. They can store data and change according to the context. For example dragging a timeline in Gantt charts add dates to it. That's just one example, there are plenty more.
- Real-time collaboration - Want to work as a team? Want to share your diagrams with clients and peers? Creately makes it easier to do that with real-time collaboration. And you don't have to install anything extra as well.
- Many export options - Creately allows you export your diagram as PDF, SVG, PNG and many other formats. This gives you extra flexibility to work with others. For example if you want linkable diagrams you can use the PDF export. And if you want a diagram them needs to be opened using any other diagram tool you can use the SVG export.
- Thousands of templates - Why draw from scratch? Creately offers thousands of diagram templates added to the community by the users. You're sure to find a template that matches your need.
A Venn diagram drawn using Creately
Lots of Resources about Various Diagrams
Although the Creately blog has lots of information there are many more resources available in the website. Creately operates on the mini site concept where there is a separate mini site for various diagram types.
The mini site contains Flowchart templates, Articles about how to use flowcharts, various symbols used in flow charts, case studies about usage about flow charts and other general articles about flow charts. A one stop resource center for flowcharts. If there isn't a mini site there is usually a separate page for a diagram type like this one for Venn Diagram making.
Another great thing about Creately it offers a free account, but the diagrams created using the free account are public. Because of this many examples of various diagrams are constantly added for other users to refer. Another great resource contributed by the community.
Creately Educational Videos
The below video shows how to draw flowcharts using Creately. Creately YouTube Channel has many more videos on how to use Creately more effectively.