- Internet & the Web
35 facts your mates wouldn't know!
Purpose of this piece of work
I recently had a good discussion with a few mates wherein we wondered what the most common name in the World was. I knew the answer to that one, but that followed a row of other questions, the answers to some of which weren't known to me. I later searched online for websites with some fun, lesser known facts which you could throw up on your mates in a casual conversation or with your manager at lunch time. I did find some, but most of the stuff I found was boring stuff in my view. I therefore collected some interesting 1-2 line facts which might show up in search engines and come to the aid of someone like me. I know that a lot you would already know some/most of it. Well, reading it again would reinforce what you already know. But if there's someone who knew ALL of it, I would be rather surprised to know it. So comment and let me know! Hope you enjoy the page.
Did you know
Let's get straight down to the fact, numbered 1 to 35. Cheers!
1. The word N.E.W.S refers to information from 4 directions: North, East, West and South
2. MOPED is the short term for 'Motorized Pedaling'.
3. FORTNIGHT comes from 'Fourteen Nights' (Two weeks).
4. POP MUSIC is 'Popular Music' shortened.
5. BUS is the short term for 'OMNIBUS' that means everybody.
6. Drawing Room was 'withdrawing room' where people withdrew after dinner. Later the prefix 'with' was dropped.
7. QUEUE comes from 'Queen's Quest' which dated a long time ago for a long row of people waiting to see the Queen.
8. AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from 'Agricultural Marketing.
9. JOURNAL is a diary that tells about 'Journey for a day' during each day's business.
10. TIPS come from 'To Insure Prompt Service. A long time ago, to get prompt service from servants in an Inn, travelers used to drop a few coins in a box which had 'To Insure Prompt Service' written on it.
Continuing where we left . . .
11. JEEP is a vehicle with a unique gear system. It was invented during the second world war and was named 'General Purpose Vehicle'(GP) which later changed to JEEP.
12. Coca Cola was originally Green
13. The most common name in the world is Mohammed
14. The name of all continents end with the same letter they start with. Asia, America, Australia, Europe, Africa, Antarctica.
15. The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE
16. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters of only one row of the keyboard.
17. Women BLINK nearly TWICE as much as men.
18. You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
19. It is impossible to lick your elbow
20. Wearing HEADPHONES for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
5 Fun facts about Titanic!
Now who doesn't like Titanic?! So why not find out a couple of things about it that you might not already have known before we move on?
And there's more . .
21. It is physically impossible for PIGS to look up into the sky
22. The "sixth sick sheikh's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
23. Each King in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history: Spades - King David; Clubs - Alexander the Great; Hearts - Charlemagne; Diamonds - Julius Caesar
24. A CROCODILE cannot stick its tongue out.
25. A SNAIL can sleep for 3 years.
26. All Polar bears are left handed.
27. BUTTERFLIES taste with their feet.
28. ELEPHANTS are the only animals that can't jump.
29. In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
30. STEWARDESSES is the longest word typed with only the left hand
And the last five for now!
31. Bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers have something in common: The were all invented by WOMEN
32. The human HEART creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet
33. RATS multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants
34. People say "BLESS YOU" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.
35. If you SNEEZE too hard, you can fracture a Rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your neck or head and Die! So it's good to 'Bless' a sneezing person!!