Fix Folders Become Shortcuts Caused by Virus & Recover Lost Files
ALL My Files & Folders Became Shortcuts?
Just all of a sudden all the files & folders turned into shortcuts showing 1KB or 2 in size when you connected your USB flash drive, memory card or hard drive to your PC? It should be a couple of GB as you saved so many documents, photos, movies etc to the disk drive. How could this happen? Where are those files? Are they hidden or deleted? How to recover the lost files and folders?
It could happen if your PC hard drive or removable disk suffered certain kinds of virus, spyware or trojans such as AUTORUN, BUOUFO, QWERT etc.
**Continue to read on for the solution (Step-by-Step Tutorial) to fix folders shortcuts problem and recover files & folders from the drive.
When you accidentally met the problem, never should you attempt to format the drive (hard disk, USB flash, memory card etc) right away as it may make things worse. It's recommended to stick to the below step by step tutorial if you have important data in the virus infected drive.
Step 1 - Check if the Files & Folders Are in Hidden Mode
- Click 'Start' -->'Run' --> type 'cmd' and click OK. Note: if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, use "Home + R" combination and type 'cmd'.
- Input this command attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* Take care of the space between, it's recommended to copy the line and paste (Note: here assume your drive letter shows as G: under 'My Computer', do not forget to replace it if different).
- Press 'Enter' button.
Now please check if the shortcuts problem has gone and your files & folders appear?
If still not appear, don't worry go to --> the next step.
Step 2 - Remove the Virus or Spyware
- Feel free to try Defender Pro Ultimate (top-rated malware, spyware & virus removal utility by PC Magazine, PC World, CNET etc). And download & install the program on your PC. Note: you can also use some other anti-virus programs, see below on Amazon.
- Connect your infected drive to your PC. Open the anti-virus and give a free scan of the problematic drive.
- Clean the virus if found.
Now recheck the folders & files in your usb drive, memory card, hard dive etc, are they still in shortcuts? If yes, then go to the final step.
Step 3 - Recover Data & Format the Drive
- Keep the drive connected to your PC, then try a data recovery software and install it on the computer. Run the app for a free scan of your drive to see if there are some files & folders can be found and then recovered.
Note: those file recovery programs perform read-only operation and won't do any damage to your drive, nor then will recover the virus or spyware. They just retrieve your important files such as photos, videos, documents etc
- Then quick format the disk (under "My Computer", right click and choose "format" option). This should wipe everything out including the spyware, the folders shortcuts problem will gone forever too. But note: your files are not deleted permanently even if you format the drive.
- Retry the data recovery tools recommended above to rescan your drive to see if more files can be found and recovered.
This way should be your final solution.
Great Antivirus Offers on Amazon
Norton Antivirus keeps you safe on social networks. The latest version of Norton AntiVirus has comprehensive features that attack malware, alert users to suspicious behavior and stop phishing scams that can compromise your passwords and financial security.
This is an award winning program, and priced to be fair for 2013. It offers a complex, but easy to use set of tools that are cutting edge and capable of dealing with known threats and unknown threats alike.
Is the lens helpful to you?
Does the Step-by-Step tutorial help get rid of your folders become shortcuts problems?
Or any other new problems?
Say thank you or leave your stories here.
I am here to help you out!