jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think the internet will suffer if the government proposes a tax on it?

1. KangaYankeeDoo profile image79
    KangaYankeeDooposted 5 years ago

Do you think the internet will suffer if the government proposes a tax on it?

The United Nations and America are both supporting a $1.25 tax for each time you log onto to the Internet. This is beyond comprehension, and if I remember correctly the Internet was suppose to be FREE, so what in the world is going on here?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image62
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

How do they tax something they don't own.  If this were to happen, I would be done. Not paying, simple as that.  I think a lot of sites would shut down, Internet services would be dropped, billions of dollars in Internet sales would be lost. It would be a catastrophe.

3. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 5 years ago

Not much in this world is free.  Everything revolves around the dollar bill and we already pay for an internet provider. I would think they would be taking care of any tax. They are charging us service fees with tax on it.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image62
      LindaSmith1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

If my rate goes up, I will know why and that will be the end of it.  Why pay a tax for Internet when the gov't does not own it.

4. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I agree with Diana Lee: why pay a tax on something not owned by our government.  What is the purpose of the tax?  Also, it would be too expensive to continue to use the net if one is charged for each log in.  I would rather pay a very small monthly access fee instead.  I believe they would see a mass protest.  Perhaps someone like Gates or Zuckerberg will provide internet free to users!

5. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

They won't charge you for logging in. However, adding fees to the ICANN for every domain or additional taxes charged to telecommunications companies for internet services are real possibilities.

6. Anti-Valentine profile image96
    Anti-Valentineposted 5 years ago

I'm just waiting for the day that they charge a person for every search they make through Google.

working