- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics
Freezeproof Camera is Great for Winter Photos
Cold is No Problem with a Freezeproof Camera
Do you love taking photos in the snow? Then you may want to consider a freezeproof camera. Whether you enjoy watching your kids make snowmen in the front yard, love shooting winter landscapes, or like to capture skiers coming down the slopes at the local ski resort, you'll find plenty of photo opportunities during winter.. Unfortunately, freezing temperatures can cause a variety of problems with regular digital cameras. But a freezeproof camera, which is sealed against the elements, can tolerate much harsher conditions than a regular camera. Most are also waterproof (or water resistant), as well as dustproof and sometimes even shockproof. Here are some popular and affordable freezeproof cameras.
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Freezeproof Camera - Freezeproof, waterproof and shockproof
The Nikon Coolpix AW100 is currently the most popular compact camera in Amazon's underwater camera category, but this 16 MP compact camera isn't just designed to be used underwater. It's also freezeproof to -10 degrees C (14 degrees Fahrenheit), as well as shockproof. It comes with built-in GPS, one-touch 1080p video recording, and a 3-inch LCD.
- Water-proof, Shock-proof, Freeze-proof: ruggedly built for reliable and comfortable outdoor operation. Water-proof to a depth of 33 feet;3 inch LCD display
- 16 effective megapixel CMOS sensor ideal for low light shooting and fast operation,Zoom: Optical: 5x, Digital: 4x
- Full HD (1080p) movie with stereo sound and movie-record button that enables one-touch recording (HDMI mini connector equipped)
- Aperture: f/3.9 to f/4.8,Lens Focal Length : 5.0-25.0mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 28-140mm lens in 35mm (135) format)
- Points of Interest (locations, landmarks, etc.) and location information (latitude and longitude) can be added to your photos
Olympus TG-1iHS - This one's also crushproof
Many of today's rugged cameras are freezeproof, waterproof and shockproof, but the Olympus TG-1iHS adds another layer of protection - it's crushproof to 220 lbs of force. For shooting in cold weather, this compact 12 MP camera is freezeproof to -10C/14F and can help you capture great shots with a 8x zoom, dual image stabilization and 3-inch LCD screen. It also comes with built-in GPS and an eCompass.
- 12 Megapixel BSI CMOS Sensor with Full HD Video with HDMI, Multi-Motion Movie IS
- Waterproof (12m/40 ft), Shockproof (2m/6.6 ft) and Freezeproof (-10 C/14 F)
- 8x Super-Resolution Zoom and F2.0 Hi-Speed Lens and 4x Optical Zoom,Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.5 x 1.0 Inches
- iHS Technology, Dual image stabilization
- GPS & eCompass, Color : Dark silver
- Crushproof 220 lbf.
3.0-Inch screen and 610k OLED
Canon PowerShot D20 - A freezeproof compact camera from Canon
Canon has offered freezeproof weather sealing in its professional line of DSLR cameras for years, but the PowerShot D20 is the manufacturer's only waterproof, freezeproof compact camera. This 12.1 MP camera has a 5x zoom, one-touch HD recording, 3-iinch LCD and a built-in GPS system.
- Waterproof to 33 feet, temperature from 14-104 degrees fahrenheit
- 12.1 MP Canon HS SYSTEM with a High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- 3.0-inch Pure Color System LCD for easy viewing
- GPS tracker to record image locations on a map via Canon's software (does not work under water)
- Waterproof to 33 feet, temperature resistant from 14-104 degrees Fahrenheit and shockproof up to 5 feet
- 12.1 effective megapixel, 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor
- Full 1080p HD video with dedicated movie button
- 28mm wide-angle lens (5x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 20x combined zoom) with optical image stabilizer
A Freezeproof DSLR Camera - Pentax K-30 is most affordable weather-sealed DSLR
High-end DSLR cameras are generally weather-sealed so professional photographers can shoot in rain, snow and sandy or dusty situations without worrying about destroying camera gear worth tens of thousands of dollars. But unless you were willing to spend thousands on a semi-pro or pro camera, this feature has always been out of the reach of the amateur DSLR user. Pentax, however, has changed that. The K-30 is fully weather-sealed and freezeproof to -10 degrees Celsius or 14 degrees Fahrenheit. It comes with a 16 MP CMOS sensor, full 1080p video, and a 3-inch LCD screen.
- 16 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition; Rugged coldproof design for sub-freezing use (-10C, 14F)
- Full 1080p30 HD video features h.264 compression, flexible exposure control, and HDR finishing options
- Advanced SAFOX IXi+ autofocus engine features AF assist lamp, light source sensor, and improved optical components
- 3-inch LCD is wide angle viewable, and features 921,000 dots of resolution
Other Pages You Might Enjoy - More photography articles by lisadh
Underwater Disposable Cameras - Not the Cheapest Option
Film cameras haven't quite joined 8-track tape decks in the pile of obsolete consumer products, but most people have abandoned film in favor of more advanced...
Why Moms Should Love the Contour ROAM2
You've probably seen commercials advertising "sports cams" or "action cams," those tiny camcorders that athletes and adventurers like to ...
Ideas for Self Portraits
Photographers are usually most comfortable behind the lens, focusing their camera on other people and subjects. But taking self portraits can be a lot of fun...
Superzoom or DSLR? Which One is Right for You?
If you're thinking about upgrading from a simple compact camera and are torn between a superzoom and a DSLR, your quandary is not surprising. Both offer adva...
How to Remove a White Background From an Image
Photoshop Elements is one of the most popular photo editing and organizing programs on the market, and it offers an incredibly easy...