Gmail Notifications by Text/SMS
Do you want to receive a text (SMS) notification on your phone when you receive certain emails from Gmail? There's a way to do this, and even limit it to certain types of emails (from certain senders, with particular subject lines, etc.).
Keep in mind, though, that if your carrier charges you per text message, then each of these notifications you're getting to your phone will cost you.
- Click the gear icon to the upper right in Gmail. Choose Mail Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP subtab.
- Click Add a forwarding address.
- Enter email@example.com where yournumber is your 10-digit phone number, including area code, and yourcarrier is what it says in that table below.
- Check your phone for a confirmation number (an 8-digit number)
- Enter that number in the field and click the Verify button.
- Click the Filters subtab.
- Scroll to the bottom and click the Create a New Filter link.
- Enter what you want notified by text in the appropriate field (if you want to be notified any time firstname.lastname@example.org emails you, for example, then enter email@example.com in the From: field).
- Click the next step button.
- Check the box next to Forward it to: and make sure the drop-down says:
- Click Create Filter at the bottom.
Replace 8005551212 with your 10-digit phone number, including area code