- Internet & the Web»
- Social Networking
How To Create A Twitter Account
If you're late getting into the social media game and want to get started with Twitter then you have nothing to worry about. Having said that, a friend of mine recently asked me how to create a Twitter Account and having gone through all the steps with them I suddenly realised how useful it would have been to be able to point them at a page and say "follow these steps to create your Twitter account."
This is that page! So now if someone asks me how to create a Twitter account then I can simply say "go to this page!"
Don't worry it is really quite easy and intuitive, and by following the steps here, you'll be on your way to tweeting in no time.
The following simple steps will enable you to create a Twitter account for yourself in next to no time!
So, let's get you started.
1. 1. Load up your Web browser and go to http://twitter.com.
2. You'll see the Twitter welcome page. On the right, you will see two boxes. The top box is the sign-in box for people who already have existing Twitter accounts (This will include you, once you're done with creating your account). For now, you need to focus on the bottom box, which is the sign-up box for people who are using Twitter for the first time.
3. In the sign-up box you will see three smaller boxes labeled "Full name", "Email" and "Password". So in the corresponding box, type in your full name, email address and the password you want to use for this account (Don't forget to note down your password!). Then click the button that says "Sign up for Twitter".
4. Twitter will now show the account creation page. In the boxes on this page, you will notice the information you just entered: your full name, email address and password (your password will be hidden, though, and all you'll see are little squares). You'll also see a new box labeled "Choose your user name", with a user name created for you by Twitter.
5. Check the messages on the right of each box if there's a green check mark, then that particular item is good to go. But if you see a red "X", that means there is a problem. There's usually some text right beside the "X" that explains what the problem is. Simply change or adjust the information you provided according to the instructions, until the red "X" changes to a green check mark.
6. When everything is green and "go" click on the bright yellow button labeled "Create my account".
Twitter will now create your account. Then it will try to get your new account ready for you to use. You will be taken through a series of pages that will configure your account.
7. Twitter will show you a preview of your account. Click "Next".
8. Twitter will next recommend 5 people for you to follow, just so you can immediately see some activity on your account once you get started. It won't hurt to follow some people, so go ahead and click the "Follow" button beside each of these names. As you do this, you will see the names added to your Preview box. Click "Next".
9. Twitter will recommend 5 more well-known people to follow. You can choose from a bunch of categories. When you've added 5 more accounts to follow, click "Next".
10. Twitter will offer to find people you know from your email contacts so you can add them to your Twitter contacts. You can skip this part by clicking "Skip" at the bottom of the box.
11. You can now upload a photo of yourself. Go ahead and do this, because people tend to respond more if they can see your picture. Or you can skip this step entirely by clicking "Skip" at the bottom.
And you now have your very own shining, shimmering, splendid Twitter account! But one more thing...
While you were busy with all these, Twitter sent you an email message to the email address you specified. Go to your email and open up that message. In the message you should see a big blue button that says, "Confirm your account now". Click it.
And you're done! You are now ready to join the Twitter universe.
More How To Use Twitter Guides
- How To Use Twitter For Marketing
Whether you are in business, jobseeker, charity or indeed anyone who needs to market themselves then Twitter offers a lot of opportunities. So take a look at our How to use Twitter for Marketing ideas
- How To Use Twitter
When you first start to use Twitter it can seem a bit overwhelming can't it! However with our guide to how to use Twitter you will soon be connecting with others, engaging and making great use of it.
- How To Get More Followers On Twitter
Are you looking to get more followers on Twitter? It's really very straightforward and if you follow the simple advice here then you will soon be connecting with lots of people on Twitter.