- Android Phones
How to Recover WiFi Password on Android without Root
How to Recover Wifi Password on Android without Root
Almost every Android user has at one point or another forgotten or lost the password their phone uses to connect to a frequently used Wi-Fi signal. While It is not unusual to lose or forget a password, doing so can have serious consequences for your monthly phone bill. Connecting to a wireless signal allows for larger downloads that would otherwise burn through your carrier's monthly data limits and rack up hefty overage fees.
Retrieving Saved Wifi Password on Android
This simple and straight forward process will help you find your saved Wi-Fi passwords on your Android phone. Even better, doing so doesn't require you to "root" or "jailbreak" the phone.
- Open up your File Manager in Android. If you don't have one built-in, there are a number of free and cheap apps you can download from Google Play. The Root Explorer, OI File Manager, and ES File Explorer are all good options if you need one.
- Navigate to the /data/wifi/ or to the /data/misc/wifi/ directory, depending on the device.
- In /data/wifi/, look for and open a file named bcm_supp.conf. In /data/misc/wifi/ look for and open a file named wpa_suppliciant.conf.
- After you select wpa_supplicant.conf, you will be prompted to choose a text editor with which to open the file. If you don't have one built into your Android device, there are a number of free text editor apps you can download from Google Play. 920 Text Editor is a good, free one to use.
- Once the file is open, you will be able to see a lot of the data and passwords about the various Wi-Fi networks you've previously connected to. Look for the following sequence of code in order to find the password for each Wi-Fi network.
Simply look for the sequence of code that has the name of the Wi-Fi network whose password you're looking for.
Once you're in the right file, you can easily locate the saved Wi-Fi passwords and will be in a position to access the network regardless of the time of day and without bothering your co-workers or friends for the password. This easy set of instructions for how to recover Wi-Fi password on Android without root will prove invaluable.