Saving Tips: Reducing Monthly Expenses on iPad (Obvious and Hidden Expenses)
Handheld Gadgets Incurs More Expenses than Expected
Some of the gadgets today introduce a more convenient way of communicating. Chat applications, email applications, and calling applications had already been introduced, to not limit communication using only the mobile phones.
Even in other handheld gadgets like the tablets, as well as the Pod technology and its contemporary gadgets, those activities above are done with great ease and convenience. Unknowingly, by using these applications, we are already incurring expenses more than we should.
Use Pre-paid SIM
Let's take a look at the most popular tablet in the industry today, the iPad (the 3G/ Wi-Fi model) and the surprising expenses it brings.
- Check out with your telecommunication company all the available Internet Plans. If a pre-paid Internet plan is more affordable, then go for it. This actually allows you to control your expenses every month, rather than getting bills for usage you have not exhausted at all. If there is a low demand for internet, a prepaid SIM card works for you. However, there are other users who can minimize their expenses by having a post paid plan because they can limit their use according to the plan. If this is the case, then choose the best plan for you. If you are in an area where prepaid SIM is not available, then managing your postpaid plan is your only option.
Wi-Fi on IPAD, Downloading Games and Etc.
- When using the Internet, be smart. Turn off your data plan (3G) when you are in an area where there is a Wi-Fi network. That is to make sure you are using the Wi-Fi connection in that particular location, not the bandwidth of your Internet plan. In case these two options are ON, your iPad prioritizes the 3G connection each time you connect to the Internet.
- Download games, movies, and songs using the iPad only when necessary and in most important circumstances. Most iPad users own a computer, so if you own one, then it is strongly recommended to do all the downloads in a computer, then later on transfer the downloaded content into the iPad. Its lesser that way.
- Check applications in your iPad. There are games in iTunes Store that needs Internet before it works. Make sure to minimize its use. Go for those games that do not make use of the Internet.
FETCH Feature in IPAD, Credit Card Billing, and iTunes Use
- Make sure that the fetching of emails will be done manually, not automatic. When it is set in automatic "fetch" setting for every 5 seconds, it will use Internet connection every 5 seconds to fetch e-mail messages and other data, while if you use automatic, it will only use Internet when you fetch your e-mail.
- There are two types of expenses incurred by an iPad, the plan usage data is in a different billing, separate from the iTunes Store billing. So be alert. Discover the incidentals. Check your billing and look for extra charges that were not stipulated in your contract with the telecommunication company, as well as track the costs of your application downloads in the iTunes Store and the Appstore.
- Since most iPad users make use of an Apple ID to download apps, as well as music and movies in AppStore or in iTunes Store, do not entrust your Apple ID password to anybody. Giving anyone an access to your account will let them use the credit card that is attached to your Apple ID to download apps for their own iPads. Then, you end up paying for somebody else's application.
- Be alert with the free apps. They could be free on your first download, but updates for these apps could be paid ones. These updates will show up in your billing.
- Notably, aside from apps charges in iTunes, iPad's other expenses are the ones iTunes people call the in-app purchases. These are the purchases used within the application, either when opting for more life, or skip to a different level, or in what other applications call “ the upgrade”. These are hidden strategies of game developers to extract more charges from users. So, it is best to check your credit card billing item per item. Per experience, my daughter had incurred in-app purchases with the Smurf Village game.
See this link how: support.apple.com/kb/HT2727.
Removing Credit Card Info in iTunes
- If you do not have plans of downloading paid apps in your iPad, remove the credit card from the Apple ID account. Better yet, upon signing in make sure to use the Apple ID with no credit card information. This is to prevent unscrupulous individuals from drowning you with expenses you are not aware of. You may call Apple Customer Service to make sure every credit card information is deleted.
- Finally, make sure your iPad is safe. iPad, even during the warranty period can incur you fix repair charges if you have a physical damage like a crack screen. Apple’s policy states that accidental damages like liquid and physical damages are not covered by your existing 1-year warranty. In usual cases, Apple Store would suggest changing your iPad with a re-manufactured item should the damage is proven beyond repair. The swap however is not free and would cost more than half of the original price, minus the one year warranty. The re-manufactured unit will have a 90-day warranty since the exchange date, regardless of what warranty you still have for the original unit.