- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics»
- MP3 Players»
iPod Touch Tutorial: How To Reset and Restore Your iPod Touch to Factory Settings.
What to do when your iPod Touch stops working!
Many people who jailbreak or modify their iPod Touch devices, will eventually experience freezing/ unresponsiveness on the device from time to time. However many of these people when they come across iPod issues or faults, can no longer go to an Apple store to fix it! Why? Because when you jailbreak your device, you will find that your warranty will become invalid, meaning they will not fix your device for free or at all in some cases. Therefore you must take matters into your own hands, this means making the decision to completely restore your device to its first settings. In this hub I will show you exactly how to do this in three easy steps!
Step 1: Try to Backup your device!
Some users will find that they cannot do this step, as their device is so unresponsive that it won't even link with the computer, however most users will be able to save all their data onto the computer, before wiping off all data from the device. Now the way to back up your iPod Touch is to simply plug it into your computer, and then opening iTunes to synchronize with it. This will automatically save all your songs, movies, applications and other data to your computer, so that you can put it back onto your iPod after the restore. It's really simple! So plug in your device to your computer, and let the magic do its work!
(The much better way to do this process, is to right click onto he iPod icon to the left of the iTunes window, and select "Back Up".)
Step 2: Restoring the device!
Once you've successfully backed up your device to your computer, now is the time to restore your device to the factory settings! Despite what some people may say, this step is the simplest one you'll find in this Hub, because it literally only takes around 10 seconds in total... But here is what to do.
- Turn your device off.
- Plug it into the computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Open the iPod menu which can be located on the left of the window.
- Click the "restore" button.
- Wait for the process to complete.
I just want to add an extra warning to back up all your data before doing this, as otherwise you will have to buy the music, movies etc. etc. all over again!
Buy some high quality iPod earphones!
Step 3: Time to manage your data back to your iPod Touch!
This is the part which some people may have difficulty with if they are new to Apple's iTunes service, so this is the best way to go about trying to put on all your music and apps!
1. The first thing to do is to plug in your device to your computer so that it appears in the iTunes menu, from there you can move your backed up songs from the iTunes folder to the iPod Touch folder.
2. Next select all the songs that you would like to have placed on the device, and drag them onto your iPod Touch icon.
3. Finally wait for all the songs to be copied onto the iPod Touch, and when it's finished you may remove the device from your computer.