How to keep Youtube audio playing in the background on an Iphone
So if you are like me you use Youtube a lot! usually for music, listening to stand up specials, or even those songs that you just can't find on iTunes. Sooner or later you have wondered, How to keep Youtube audio playing in the background on my iphone? Here's your answer! Here you will find out how to keep Youtube playing in the background and also how to keep it playing while multitasking. All without jailbreaking or downloading some app. Knowing this trick can save you battery life, while having the freedom to entertain yourself.
IMPORTANT: If you are here looking for how to keep youtube playing on an iPhone with iOS 6 or higher apply the same steps indicated in this lens, you will just have to download Jasmine - a YouTube client separately and use that instead of YouTube.
Note: This tip also work on iPads and iPods
So How Do I Do It?!
Okay here is the secret and it's very simple. You don't need to go in and make some major change in the settings of your iPhone 4s. Neither do you have to buy an app, nor do you have to spend time doing something ridiculous for such a tiny thing. Okay now here's what you need to do
- Open Youtube/ Jasmine
- Find a video to play
- Hit play and don't worry about it completely loading, make sure you hit play or this won't work.
- Now lock your phone
- Once your phone is locked, hit the home button twice
- Now you will see a play button on your screen,.
- Hit play
- Now Youtube will play in the background even while your phone is locked
Steps 5 & 6 - After playing the youtube video, lock your phone and hit the home button twice. A play button will pop up on your locked screen, hit the play
Steps 7 & 8
How to multitask and keep youtube playing?
Okay so now you know how to keep youtube playing while your iphone is locked however now you are taking a dump, playing angry birds, but the funny noises the birds make has gotten boring, and it's time to crank some Journey on youtube.
Now follow these steps to keep playing youtube while running other apps on your iPhone.
- Open Youtube/ Jasmine
- Find your favorite Journey song
- Hit play
- Hit the home button
- Once you are home and youtube has stopped, hit the home button twice
- Now you have all your recently accessed apps at the bottom of your screen, slide your finger from left to right on the apps at the bottom.
- You will see a Play button, hit Play
- Press the home button and continue with what you need to do.
Steps 5 & 6 - Hit your home button twice, this is what you will see, just swipe from left to right and you will see a play button.
Step 7 & 8 - There's your play button, just hit play then hit home again and go ahead multitasking!
Tips & Tricks
1. When multitasking or playing Youtube audio in the background while your phone is locked, to restart the song all you have to do is hit the previous/rewind button, and it will automatically start again.
2. Just remember that Youtube plays the same way whether your phone is locked or while you multitask.
3. A good way to keep music playing from Youtube is to create an account with Youtube and create a play list, this way you can skip songs back and forth from your play list to play what ever song you choose, there is a glitch in this however and that is Youtube won't automatically play the next video in the list, so before a song ends, just hit next and you are good to go.
4. This works for iPods and iPad also
Note: You can't play youtube on an iphone in the background with iOS6 or higher without Jasmine, a free app that allows you to play youtube in the background. I have talked about this on the comments section so do go check it out.
UPDATE: Jasmine is now available in the U.S so all you have to do is download the app and work it the same way I have showed in this lens and you will be able to play youtube in the background on an iPhone.
Please do like this lens if it helped you out!
Also check out my other lenses:
Thank you and enjoy!
A YouTube client
If you have updated your iPhone, iPad For iPod to iOS 6 or higher (Which majority of you have probably by now), then in order to play YouTube in the background on your device you will need to download an app called Jasmine.
Google Jasmine app and it should be the first link on the page. Sign in and follow the instructions give on this lens and it should work the exact same way.
Any questions or comments? Please post here!
Thanks for reading! Hope this helped!