- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets
Kindle Paperwhite 2013 eReader with light
At last! A Kindle eReader with a light
There's a new version of the Kindle Paperwhite for 2013 with an upgraded specification and new features. This Kindle eReader has a light so you can read in the dark. This is important for a lot of people including those who want to read in bed without disturbing their partner.
The light on the Kindle Paperwhite is not a backlight, it's called the Light Guide and shines down on the screen. The light feature has been improved for the new version.
The Kindle Paperwhite 2 was announced on 3 September 2013 and has a release date of September 2013.
Kindle Paperwhite Features
- The key feature of the Kindle Paperwhite is of course the light. The lack of a light has always been a big problem for me with the Kindle. Note that although people often talk about a Kindle with backlight, technically it's a front light. The light technology has been improved in the new version.
- The Kindle Paperwhite also improves on the screen resolution of previous Kindles with a 212 ppi (pixels per inch) resolution. The new version has improved the contrast to make it easier to read.
- The battery life of the Kindle Paperwhite is up to 8 weeks using the light. (This beats the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.) But that's based on 30 minutes reading a day. Bookworms will need to recharge more often.
- The Kindle Paperwhite is small and light. The new version has the same dimensions and is just slighter lighter.
- Shows how long it will take you to finish your book at your current reading pace. Handy for knowing whether you can finish before you have to go to bed! (I use this Kindle feature a lot when I'm reading bedtime stories to my kids. It helps me decide whether I should allow them just one more chapter!)
When is the Kindle Paperwhite 2 Released?
The new Kindle Paperwhite release date is 30 September 2013 and it is available to pre-order before that.
All New Paperwhite Video
This video covers the features of the new upgraded model for 2013.
The basic Kindle Paperwhite eReader comes in two models, you can choose a cheaper device that comes with 'special offers' - these are adverts delivered to your Kindle Paperwhite.
Or you can choose the more expensive device without adverts.
The Kindle Paperwhite is the same device in either case, it's just whether you decide it's worth paying extra to get rid of the ads.
Some people actually like the ads and discover new titles that way.
Kindle Paperwhite 3G
The basic Kindle Paperwhite requires a Wifi connection to download books and for other network features. The 3G models allow you to be connected whenever you have a 3G connection. Handy if you find it hard to find a convenient Wifi spot and for traveling around the world too.
There will be a new model for 2013. At time of writing it is not yet ready to pre-order.
Kindle Paperwhite Cases
There are custom Kindle Paperwhite cases that will wake and sleep the Kindle Paperwhite when you open and close it, and a range of other sleeves and cases.
The Kindle Paperwhite 2 has the same dimensions as the earlier model so there are lots of cases to choose from.
Kindle Paperwhite Cases
A range of cases for the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite. Whether you want a protective case, a professional looking case or a stylish case to pop your Kindle Paper...
Does the new Kindle Paperwhite support audio?
Does the new Kindle Paperwhite have speakers? It has no audio capability. This is a frequently requested feature. Amazon have said that the omission of audio helps keep the device small.
This means it does not support the Text-to-Speech (TTS) Kindle feature or Audible audio books.
You have to choose between the Kindle Paperwhite light vs Kindle Keyboard with audio capabilities. This means that for some people the Kindle Keyboard will still be the preferred option, maybe with the addition of an external light - less convenient than the build-in light of the Paperwhite, but if audio is important this could be the better choice.
At time of writing Amazon have not yet announced their full line-up for 2013. There may be new audio-capable eReaders.
Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
SimpleLight for Kindle, Attaches to Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire HD - 7" and 8.9" Tablets
We have three new Amazon Kindle Fire HD tablets for 2012. The Kindle Fire HD 7" offers a better spec that the original Kindle Fire for the same price. A...
Thanks for Visiting