The Best Laptops For Engineering Students (UK)
The basic thumb rule of choosing an engineering laptop is to go with a gaming laptop minus screen size. Gaming laptops tend to be heavier and gamers generally want more screens. The specs of a gaming laptop is suitable for engineering students, however, the screen size creates a hurdle. In this article, I will try to present you the basic requirements of a laptop for engineers, and point out some computers that are available in the UK region.
Basic Requirements of Laptop for Engineers UK
- Screen size should be optimal
- Processor/CPU should be fast
- RAM size should be adequate
- Hard Disk size
- Graphics Card (Most important!)
Graphics Card for an Engineering Laptop
Every other tidbits aside, the major requirement of an engineering laptop is dedicated graphics. Also known as graphics adapter, graphics card or discrete graphics, students looking for a laptop for their courses should search for one with a dedicated graphics adapter. That means, in-built graphics inside the motherboard is not adequate. Look for texts such as "Nvidia GeForce" or "AMD Radeon" or just "Nvidia graphics".
Laptops with configuration such as "Intel HD graphics" denote that they have graphics card included in the motherboard itself, so those computers are not for engineering students requirements.
Minimum requirements for an engineering laptop
At least an i5 or i7
i7 is generally not required, faster processor also means less battery life
Minimum 6GB, 8GB is more than enough
Don't go over 8GB unless you are a hardcore gamer
2GB dedicated graphics card
In-house HD graphics isn't enough
Windows 7, 8 or 10
If within budget, look for SSD drives
Larger screen = less portable, smaller screen = difficulty in working on designs and small details
What is your budget for an engineering laptop?
Laptops for Engineering Students UK
Let's face it—not all models of laptops available in the US or worldwide are available in the local UK market. Manufacturers market different models of similar configurations just to make their inventory stand out. That is one of the reasons why it is difficult to search for and compare all laptops in the UK.
Here are some models of laptops that are fit for engineering students UK:
- MSI CX612QFe with 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT940 graphics card
- Acer Aspire V3 Nitro
- Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK
1. MSI CX612QFe Features
The new 2016 model of MSI laptop seems like a perfect balance between money and features.
- Featuring an Intel i5 processor, it is not as heavy as other 15.6-inches laptops. The i5 Haswell processor helps optimize the battery level and last long than more-powerful processors like i7.
- 8GB of DDR3 RAM is coupled with 1000GB of anti-shock hard disk drive.
- 2GB of dedicated Nvidia Graphics is coupled with another HD graphics from Intel.
- Weight is just under 2 kgs. True HD screen resolution of 1920 X 1080 pixels
- Charges to full within 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Memory card reader, Bluetooth, USB 3.0, 720p HD webcam and DVD/RW
- Free Microsoft softwares including Windows 10, Office
- Rest assured with 5-year warranty! (Check Today's Price)