- Internet & the Web
Make Gmail My Homepage [Easy Gmail Instructions]
Want to make Gmail your homepage? This is easy, and these instructions work for all the popular browsers: Internet Explorer (IE), Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. And not a bad idea, considering how often so many of us start our day by checking our email.
Make Gmail your Homepage - Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools in the top menu, and select Internet Options at the bottom.
- In the small window that pops up, look for the Home page section at the top of the General tab.
- Erase what's currently in that box, and type in the following:
- Hit the OK button at the bottom
- Opening up a new tab or window, or restarting IE, will then bring up Gmail for you.
Make Gmail Your Home page - Firefox
- Start Firefox.
- In the menu at the top, select Tools, and then Options... at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on the General tab (looks like a light switch)
- In the drop-down next to "When Firefox starts", choose Show my home page.
- In the field next to "Home Page", type in:
- Click the OK button at the bottom.
- Open up a new tab or window, or restart your browser altogether. The first thing you should see is Gmail.
Make Gmail Your Homepage - Google Chrome
- Start up Chrome.
- In the upper-right corner, click the wrench (spanner) icon.
- Choose Options from the drop-down menu. It will open up a new tab called "Options - Basics."
- In that tab, in the first section, called On startup, make sure the first radio button, "Open the home page," is selected.
- In the next section, called Home page, choose the second radio button, "Open this page", and enter:
- In the section below that, called Toolbar, you might want to check off the box next to "Show Home button". This will show a little house icon to the left of the Web address bar at the top, which, if you click it, will then automatically take you to Gmail, too.
- Close the tab when you're done. (You don't have to hit an OK or Save button; yeah, it's a little weird)
Make Gmail your Home Page in Safari
- Start up Safari,
- In the upper-right, click the icon that looks like a gear (this is to the far-right of the Web address bar).
- From the drop-down menu that shows up, choose Preferences...
- A small window will pop up. Choose the General tab (with the light-switch icon) if it isn't already selected.
- About halfway down, find the field "Home page" and enter the following:
- Close that small window.
- When you restart Safari, your homepage will now be Gmail.