How to Password Protect a Word Document
Password Protecting a Word Document
This is how you make a Microsoft Word 2007 document ask for a password while opening.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to protect the documents we type and save on our computers from nosy friends or neighbours.
Aha! Or from any other person who wants to have unauthorized access to them. There are many ways of achieving data security on a computer.
We are going to look at how we can Password protect a Word 2007 document so that when you try to open it, it asks you for a password.
This means that if you don’t supply a password when opening, the word document will not open at all.
Before password protecting any document you may wish to create a backup of the non-password protected folder and files in case you forget the password in the future.
Then, of course, the backup should be saved away from where it cannot be easily accessed by unauthorized persons.
Procedure of Setting the Password
1. Open the office word 2007 document you want to password protect, click on the office button at the top left corner.
2. Click on prepare.
3. Then click on encrypt the document. Type the password you want to use in the dialogue box that is provided. Please do not forget your password because it will be tantamount to locking your house and losing your keys.
Also, you should not let other people know your password unless it is necessary because it will beat the logic of why we need a password in the first place.
Once you click on okay, the computer will force you to renter the password. Click okay after retyping your password; this is done to ensure that there are no typos in the first password you typed.
Note: Passwords are case sensitive so make sure you note whether your CAPS LOCK is on or off.
4. Save your office word document and close it.
5. Then open your word 2007 document and it should ask for a password as it opens. If it doesn’t, most probably you have not followed the instructions to the letter.
Click to Learn More About Computers
- Computer Bus Architecture Types
A bus is a common pathway through which information is connected from one component to another. This pathway is used for communication and can be established between two or more computer components.
- How to Rename a USB Flash Drive
Is it important to rename your USB flash disk drive? The answer is yes. Once you rename your flash disk drive, it becomes easier for you to recognize and work with it or them if you are using more than one. And instead of you giving a name, you can o
- Computer Parts Explained
Computers are very useful electronic devices that we use in modern world. In almost all the activities we conduct in a day today activity, we find ourselves using a computer. In this hub am going to have a...
How to Remove Password in Word 2007 Document
After protecting your document, you also need to know how to remove the password you have applied to your document. This is quite easy.
The procedure of Removing Password
- Open the document you want to unprotect.
- Click on the Office button.
- Click on prepare.
- Click on 'encrypt document'.
- Highlight and remove the existing password. Then click on okay, save the changes and close your document. Once you open it again, it should not ask for a password.
How to password protect a word document
The same process illustrated above is the same one we apply when setting passwords to Excel and PowerPoint 2007.
Do you always set passwords to your documents?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Patrick Kamau