Pentax Offers Affordable Weatherproof DSLR Camera Line
Weather-Sealed DSLR Cameras Are Affordable
Unless you're a professional photographer or serious amateur willing to spend $5000 on a high-end DSLR, a weatherproof DSLR has probably been out of your budget.
But Pentax is making weather-sealed DSLR cameras more affordable. The company has three digital SLRs that are fully weather-sealed and available for around $1000 or less with a lens. If you've been looking for a weatherproof DSLR that can withstand sand, dirt, dust or snow, take a look at these cameras.
(Image of weatherproof K-5 camera provided by amazon. See link below.)
Rain is No Problem for These Cameras
Pentax K-30 - The most affordable weather-sealed digital SLR
If you're looking for an affordable weatherproof DSLR, the Pentax K-30 is the camera you're looking for. As of this writing (in December 2012), you can get the K-30 body in blue with an 18-55mm lens for less than $700 on Amazon, while the white and black models are slightly higher. The K-30 is weather-sealed to withstand water, dust and freezing temperatures down to 14 F or -10C. With a 16 MP CMOS sensor, ISO range between 100 and 12800, continuous shooting at 6 fps and an optical finder with 100% field of view, this camera can help you take great shots. But don't take the company's word for it. It also has a 4.7- out of 5-star rating on Amazon as of this writing, and dpreview.com gave it a silver award.
- 16 mega pixel APS-C CMOS image sensor
- Fully weather sealed through out the entire camera, not just the port and battery doors, for a rugged cold proof/weather proof SLR
- Full 1080p HD video 30/25/34 FPS, features h.264 compression, flexible exposure controls and HDR finishing options.
- ISO speeds to 25600 with minimn noise
- Low profile glass pentaprism viewfinder achieves a 100% optical field of view
Pentax K-5 - Excellent performance in a weatherproof DSLR
Although the list price on this camera is just over $1200, it's available at Amazon for less than $1000 for a kit that includes an 18-55mm lens. That's an amazing deal on a weather-sealed DSLR that dpreview called "one of the best APS-C DSLRs currently on the market." The K-5 offers excellent image quality for both still photos and videos and a comprehensive feature set that includes a 16.3 MP sensor, 80-12800 ISO and a 3-inch LCD.
- 16.3-megapixel CMOS sensor; 80-12800 ISO range with improved noise performance
- Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS, with sound via built-in or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack
- 6-7 fps captures fast action shots
- 11-point SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with dedicated AF assist lamp and light wavelength sensor
- Large 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution
- Fully weather-sealed and coldproof design
Pentax K-7 - Pentax's top weather-resistant DSLR
The Pentax K-7 is an older model than the K-30 or K-5, but still packs a lot of features in a fully weather-proofed body. The 14.6 MP camera has a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second, shoots 5.2 fps and captures 720p HD video. It also offers Live View mode, with contrast AF, Face Detection, and optional histogram, grid, and bright/dark area display.
- High-resolution, 14.6-megapixel CMOS sensor; compact, magnesium alloy body
- Kit includes Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL weather-resistant lens
- Weather resistant, dustproof, and coldproof (14 degrees F, -10 degrees C)
- Fast 5.2 fps shooting with the new PRIME II Image processing engine
- 3-inch LCD
Pentax Weatherproof DSLRs Take a Beating in Afghanistan - You definitely wouldn't want to do this with a regular DSLR
This video should make any photographer with a typical non-weatherproof camera cringe. But it shows you just what type of beating these cameras can take.
Other Pages You Might Enjoy - More photography articles by lisadh
Underwater Disposable Cameras - Not the Cheapest Option
Film cameras haven't quite joined 8-track tape decks in the pile of obsolete consumer products, but most people have abandoned film in favor of more advanced...
Why Moms Should Love the Contour ROAM2
You've probably seen commercials advertising "sports cams" or "action cams," those tiny camcorders that athletes and adventurers like to ...
Ideas for Self Portraits
Photographers are usually most comfortable behind the lens, focusing their camera on other people and subjects. But taking self portraits can be a lot of fun...
Superzoom or DSLR? Which One is Right for You?
If you're thinking about upgrading from a simple compact camera and are torn between a superzoom and a DSLR, your quandary is not surprising. Both offer adva...
How to Remove a White Background From an Image
Photoshop Elements is one of the most popular photo editing and organizing programs on the market, and it offers an incredibly easy...