Recycle paper at home
What Is Recycling?
The process of conversion of wastes into usable materials is called as recycling. It also decreases the necessity of using fresh raw materials thereby preventing the pollution. It is the third component of waste hierarchy :Reduce Reuse and Recycle
Why Should We Recycle?
The waste disposal has become a major concern in the 21st century. The gases getting emitted from the discarded wastes pollute the environment and with a large quantity of products, there will correspondingly be more wastes thus polluting the earth to a larger extent. This makes it necessary for the articles to be recycled.
The major recycling industries are
- E-waste recycling industries
- Plastic recycling industries
- Paper recycling industries
- Chemical recycling industries
Recyclable Items or Materials
- The metals that can be recycled are
- Ferrous metals
- Non-ferrous metals
- Bi-metal containers
- Tin-coated steel materials.
- The plastics that are recycled are
- High density Polyethylene(HDPE)
- Low density Polyethylene (LDPE)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
- The glass materials that are recycled are
- Individual colored glass
- Mixed color glass
- The common papers used for recycling are
- Computer papers
- Mixed papers
- Other papers
Recycling Process for Papers
Initially the papers are mixed with water and a few chemicals. It is then heated to get cellulose. Plastic materials are filtered then from the slurry and then the printed matter in the paper is removed by the process of deinking and the new mixture obtained can be made into paper again. This process can be repeated for about seven times and finally they get strained out.
There are three types of paper which can be used for recycling. They are
- Mill Broke
- Pre-consumer waste
- Post-consumer waste
Mill Broke papers are actually scrap materials which come out of the factory during the manufacture of paper itself
Pre-consumer waste is the category of papers that was not used by customers but the papers left the mill but eventually for some reasons got discarded.
Post-consumer waste papers are the papers which are used by customers and then disposed off.
The process of recycling paper is as follows
The primary step to recycle paper is to sort out the paper material. The different catergories are office wastes, paperboards, corrugated boards, and magazine papers.
In debaling, the irrevelant materials from the papers are removed which include staples etc. The magnets are used to remove the extraneous materials.
A rotor and a drum is used to shred the paper into pieces and water and chemicals are added as well. Slurry is obtained after pulping.
There are few materials like stickies which deteriorate the paper if not removed. There are special screens which are used to remove such materials.
This is the main stage in paper recycling where the printed ink from the papers are removed. Froth flotation is used where air is blown into the mixture and froth is removed to obtain cleaner mixture.
The pulp is filtered using filtration
This process is used for making the fibres brighter.
8. Paper making
The fiber is then made into paper like made from initial wood.
Recycling of Glass
Glass is one material which never degrades with time. It can be recycled infinite number of times. The glass materials are collected from many places and taken to the industry. The important process is separation of glass based on colors as the properties change for colored glasses. The glass is then crushed and melted. The molding is then done to make different types of glass jars. The unusable glasses or the remains can be used in brick industries.
Recycling of Plastic
The plastic is collected from everywhere and are grouped and shredded together.The shredded pieces are then treated for removing impurities.The resulting product is then melted and extrusion is done and the plastics are made. The plastic bottles can are normally heated and extruded to make plastic chairs.
Disposal of E-waste
There are a few companies which recycle e-wastes, however you can return the product to the same company from which you bought the good. They would either use it for the manufacture of next product or re-use it in some other way. The other ways of disposal of e-wastes are discussed here.
- If you are a resident of US you can donate the used computers to National Cristina Foundation, which helps in educating economically backward children.
- “Techsoup” is a company promoting computer recycling and reuse. You can visit their website for the services they offer.
- “DYPC” is a service which acts as a mediator between people who want to donate the used electronic goods and the seekers for it. You can visit DonateYourPC.in for the company details.
1. 17 trees can be preserved if one ton of paper is recycled.
2. Recycling plastics saves 7000 gallons of water and 400 gallons of oil.
3. Only 2% of plastics are recycled.If all the plastics in the world were recycled, the world will become 60% cleaner than it is today.
4. Waste glass can go from trash to door shelf in 30 days.
5. One million cell phones can be used to recover 75 pounds of gold and 35000 pounds of copper and 750 pounds of silver.
Some Tips for Recycling at Home
Recycle paper at home
- You will need a window screen for making a paper
- Grab all the papers you can make to recycle.
- You can use the newspapers and papers from notebooks.
- Tear all the papers into small bits
- Immerse all the papers in water and allow it to rest for 30 minutes
- Dip the frame in a separate bowl of water
- Take the pulp and place them on the frame in water.
- After sometime take the frame and add or remove pulps at specific areas according to the thickness
- You can add starch to improve brightness
- Finally the remove the frame and allow it to dry.
- The paper is ready and you can use it.
Make a Green World
By recycling all the commodities, you can build a healthy environment and maintain ecological balance, thus making your society a better place to live in.