Sager NP8295 Review - Power Laptop
My Experience - A Sager NP8295 Review
PC based gaming has been important to my son for quite a few years. And even though he plays console games, including the latest Xbox One, PC games have a unique feel and experience for FPS (First Person Shooter) type games such as Call of Duty. That being said, as you know, the latest games require some hefty hardware if they're going to be enjoyed to their full potential. Hopefully this personal analysis of our gaming laptop search will help you.
When our son entered college we began reading reviews for a new laptop (like you) that solves as many problems as possible- high performance (cutting edge even), high quality (reliable), doesn't require a second mortgage, and offers room to grow (adding more RAM or a new video card later if we wanted to).
Like most buyers we began scouring the internet for user reviews, tech lab comparisons and personal evaluations. It was quickly clear from users like us (gamers who require quality and performance) that Sager was a top-tier gaming brand whose reputation was built on solid quality and great customer service. So we narrowed our search to only Sager products.
The laptops that we ultimately looked at were the Sager NP8295 and the Sager NP9390. Both use the same Clevo chassis (offers great expansion ability) and Sager case with stylish rubberized coating, which is important if you don't like dropping your investment on the floor or having it slip off the table. Ultimately it came to down to cost, and since the NP8295 is less expensive (yet still powerful) it was our choice.
Sager NP8295 Review Criteria
Here are the things which we used in our search to compare laptops, and perhaps this closer examination will help you decided if this is the right laptop for you.
- Processing Power - The laptop must be able to handle the latest games and complex programs. This Sager NP8295 review is built around the premise that anyone considering this gamer laptop will require a powerful processor. Guess what? We found plenty of power in the Intel i7-4700MQ Processor.
- Video Power - As previously mentioned, video gaming was a top priority (in fact, it was the top ranking priority in our case). With the NVIDIA GTX 770M the laptop can handle virtually anything you throw at it, and with the modular design you can easily upgrade to a newer card later, instead of buying an entirely new laptop again.
- Display - It goes without saying that we wanted a large display that was capable of delivering life-like video for the latest games, and we find this 17.3” full 1080P HD LED display to be more than adequate.
- Memory & Storage - Every PC I've owned has had 4 GB of Ram or less, and so it was a surprise to find that this came with 8 GB of RAM, standard. But adding more later is no problem since this can handle up to 32 GB of DDR3 RAM. In addition, since our son was in college and not just playing games, we wanted to make sure that there was plenty of hard drive storage space. This model comes with a 750 GB Hard Drive, which is more than adequate. Adding more later, if needed, will be simple. We'll likely add a SSD drive soon and make it the primary for quicker gaming.
- Sound Quality - Since gaming is a top priority (I think I mentioned that), sound quality is also important and this model comes with the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 audio platform, not some generic knock-off.
- Features and Expansion - Laptops in this performance range aren't cheap, so we were looking for plenty of room for growth and also every external port that we might ever need. Once again this model came through. It boasts one optical (DVD/Blu-Ray) drive, space for two hard drives and a mSATA SSD drive, one USB 2.0 and three USB 3.0 powered ports, as well as the following ports: eSATA, IEEE-1394a, HDMI 1.4a video-out, DisplayPort & Mini DisplayPort 1.2. As a bonus it also includes a built-in HD video camera and Fingerprint Reader.
- Cooling - As you know, gaming systems get hot. This one is no exception. But if you look at the photos below you'll see one of the bottom side of this. Sager has done a great job of placing air vents all over this thing. We've never had a shutdown due to heat (well, no shutdowns period). For your most intense and prolonged gaming, grab an inexpensive cooler and sit the laptop on it. We bought a CoolerMaster from Amazon to set ours on.
Your own needs and price restrictions will be your guide in assessing choices, but in the end it's a balancing act of finding the right price / performance ratio for your situation. Since this is a subjective review of the Sager NP8295, and because I know how much time we spent examining our options, I hope you find this helpful.
In the half year that we've had this laptop there hasn't been a single glitch or hitch. Our son takes the laptop to school on most days, though it is a really large laptop and not some ultra-light, ultra-thin doohickey. If you're looking for portable over gaming, then this isn't for you. It's kind of large and heavy. Gamers pay that price, and it's essentially a full PC but small enough to be portable. In fact this laptop is more powerful than the 3 PC's we have in our home. In the photos below I placed a mechanical pencil on the laptop to give you some idea of its size and heft.
The bottom line and the final word in this review is that for us, after much consideration, we chose this Sager over all others based on the things I've mentioned and of course, on professional and technical reviews by others. And now, afterwards, it's clear that we made the right choice.
Shop Amazon For The Sager NP8295 And More
It's no secret that Amazon has become a world leader for good reason. They offer great prices, rock solid customer support, and the peace of mind in knowing you're sending money to a reputable retailer.
For their part, Sager has quite a few models which fit into a fairly large price range, so you're sure to find the perfect one which fits your budget and meets your needs.
Unlike the others here, this one has a 15" display, but is packed! Includes the NVIDIAÂ® GeForceTM GTX 770M with 3GB VRAM, 16GB Ram and a 120GB Crucial M5 mSATA SSD AND a 750GB Hard Drive.
Photo GalleryClick thumbnail to view full-size
Video Review Sager NP8295
These two videos give you a great idea of what you can expect if you buy this laptop.
The first one shows the actual laptop playing the most demanding, latest game, Call of Duty Ghost.
The second video is a foreign language un-boxing, but it allows you to see first hand how the laptop is packaged, what comes with it, and get a better idea of it's size and proportions.
If you're buying this as a gamer then you'll appreciate seeing how this beast performs at max settings on the latest games.
I have no idea what language this is in, but the video of the unboxing gives you a great idea of what this laptop looks like and it's relative size. This is the exact same laptop that we have and it was packaged just like this.