- Internet & the Web
How Do I Secure My Home WiFi Network
I am sure you have never missed an opportunity to connect to an open wi-fi network. And with increase in mobile device like smartphones and tablets, wireless point are a common thing.
But do you know that wireless network are less secured than physical cable? Why, because hackers have better chances of sniffing your data that went through wireless router as compared to cables transmission.
Although it's not big issue if an friendly soul is looking for some Free internet. But what if
- You neighbour kid hack into your wi-fi and put huge torrents on download. And if don't have unlimited internet, expect a big bill next month from your ISP.
- A hacker is remotely accessing your WiFi for illegal activities like credit card frauds.
- Stranger looking into your personal files in your computer, or even worst will be turning ON your WebCam without your knowledge.
All this can happen if you don't configure your WiFi setting carefully.The biggest mistake that Most of us make is not changing the defaults factory setting which includes your router password, encryption method, SSID etc. So lets get it started.
How do I make my network 100% secure ?
Like I always say, when it comes down to network securities there is no term like 100% secure network. Every system and every network could be cracked if giving enough time and resources to carry on.
But this doesn't imply that we can't do anything. We can still increase the level of security by increase the time and complexity for the hacker to crack our network. And since we have done that, hacker will move on to other easy target.
Therefore in this article we will be going through some simple steps to secure your home Wireless network.
Step 1. Note down your username and password
Most of the ISP give you username and password that you have to use while connection to their network.
It's always a good idea to have username and password on piece of paper or at least take a screenshot but remember to keep it safe. If it's fall into wrong hand even you could be logged out of your own network.
Step 2. Change default SSID name
SSID (Service Set Identifier), is your network name. So go ahead and give a personalized touch to your network name. Don't make a mistake of using your name, mobile no. or personal details as your SSID name. Why ? Because if the hacker is able to find you and your network, he/she will have good chances of guessing your password.
Let me explain this, with the help of personal example.
My neighbour had use her name as her WiFi SSID. So one day when my internet goes down, I try to use her network instead, I was able to get into her network in first trial. Guess what was her password ? Well this funny, she had used her first name and last name as her password.
How to do it ?
1. Launch a web browser and enter one of the following in the address bar
2. Enter the router's username and password, (if you haven't change it then the default is admin and admin)
3. This part is little tricky because most routers have different interface as they have different manufacturer but there basic remain the same.
Look for the term wireless setting in the menu. Once you are there simply change the name (SSID) from there.
Step 3. Enable MAC filtering
Every computer has their unique identifier in form of alpha numeric code called MAC address. So Enabling mac filter ensure that only the hardware you have whitelisted will be able to connect to your network.
To get started follow these steps.
1. First you will need the mac address of the device that you want to allow . If you are on windows use the ipconfig /all command on the command prompt and look for physical address, you will find some things like this a1:b2:cc:33:22:bb, which is your mac address.
Smartphones and tablet users find it under system info or by simply google your model no .
2. Now open your router configuration page and look for wireless mac filter option under the wireless menu.
3. Add the mac address and enable mac filtering option.
Remember you will have to whitelist your friends mac address. if wants to connect your wifi network.
Step 4. Enable Encryption
Modern routers have either encryption disabled or set to lowest level by default. So it's very important to check for yours.
There are 3 type of popular encryption methods that you will probably see.
The latest and strongest encryption technique available is WPA-2. So make sure you go with that. Also add a strong password to your WiFi.
How to enable encryption.
1. Login to your wireless router page.
2. Look for wireless security option and from there make desired changes.
Step 5. Change routers defaults
Many wireless routers and modem have their default username and password set to admin and admin .
If someone get access to your network even for once, and you haven't changed router default logins credentials then they can do many bad things to you.
- Like login to your wireless router and finding out your ISP's username and password, which could be used for lifetime access.
- Or they can limit your bandwidth, even worse they can put you out from your own network.
What I am trying to say is, possibilities of something bad happening to you is limitless, if you don't changed the defaults.
Step 6. Enable firewall
Nowadays almost every router comes in-built in firewall that blocks malicious program from the internet from entering into your pc. They can also block sites based on the keywords which is very helpful for monitoring and safeguarding your child from the harm of internet.
If still things are not going your way or something went wrong , just use the reset button at the back of your wireless device and it will be sent back to default factory setting.
- Do a random check, to find which computers are connected to your Wifi.
- If you have noisy neighbors who often ask for your wifi password, then try Disabling your SSID Broadcasting.
- Upgrade the Firmware frequently to patch and fixes, if there are any required.
So what do you think ?
In this article you have seen some effective way to secure your home wireless network. But like I have said before 100% security doesn't exists. Using these methods you can surely increase the level of security, but also try to keep up with latest updates in the world of technology.
If you think this article was useful then rate this article and if you have any doubt or just want to say thank you then do let me know by dropping a comment below. I would love to hear your thoughts .