- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software
What Is The Best Anti Virus Software? Reviews: 2018
Today's computer viruses are getting more sophisticated and aggressive than ever. Thankfully, with anti-virus software, you can help keep your data safe. and your computer completely free of infection with these free anti-virus programs.
When it comes to anti-virus programs/software, Norton and McAfee are the two big players. They dominate the market and are a household name, but they are not the best, In mine and many peoples opinions and experiences.
Table of contents
- Anti-virus Software / Program Reviews
- What is a virus?
- The important questions.
- Bitdefender Review.
- Kaspersky Reviews.
- Panda Reviews.
- NOD 32 Esset Reviews.
- AVG Reviews.
- Video: Defeating The Hackers.
- Poll: Which Anti Virus Program Do You Prefer?
Anti-virus Software / Program Reviews
What is a virus?
A virus is a computer program that copy's itself and infects computers without any permission or knowledge of the user. Other viruses are programmed to ruin your computer by damaging programs, deleting files or reformatting the hard disk. Computer viruses come in all forms, shapes and sizes and can be deadly for your device. Some viruses are not designed to do any damage but simply replicate themselves and make their presence known by presenting text, video, or audio messages.
Some viruses can hide inside your computer for years, snooping and stealing passwords and other sensitive and secret information such as private files, videos and images and without you ever knowing. It's not just hackers trying to break into people's systems, its terrorists, fraudsters and paedophiles. A virus can also cause erratic behaviour which will lead to system crashes, data loss and other weird and unexplained behaviour which is why it's so important to be protected.
The important questions I ask myself when looking for Anti Virus software
They are only answered once I have installed it. If I'm not satisfied, I will remove / un-install it and try another, it's that simple.
- Is it free? Just because it's free, most people assume it won't work as-well-as the paid-for for versions, but free software has not always worked well for me. They become intrusive and keep popping-up with offers to buy the payed version. Take advantage of any free trial offers. If they're not free, see how they perform in comparison to what you're used to, and also, if there are any money back guarantee offers available.
- Will it drain my computer resources? Before you install any new AV software, check the "task manager" and "processes" to see how much CPU resources your current AV software is using, and compare it to any new one you may install. You'll want to be secure yet you don't want to be slowed down during the process.
- Will it do its job in stopping viruses? The only answer is to download and use it. Remember, websites like Facebook and Twitter have been hacked into including banks!
- Is it non-intrusive? Some AV software will pop-up just to confirm if it's OK to open a browser I just launched. A good program will recognise it's just a browser and that it's a safe and a recognised program.
- New features to consider are ransom-ware and web-cam protection. Real-time threat detection and removal. On-line payments and shopping protection. 24/7 support.
- Is it easy to use? I have used many AV programs and some are not user-friendly as others. Only you can decide. The simple way is to install it and use it.
Only have ONE Anti-virus program running at once. No single program can guarantee it will catch or stop every virus attack, but not having any protection installed is not recommended and increases your risk of getting a virus. Having said that I know A Windows user who has never used any anti-virus software over the last 5 years of being on-line without any problems.
Many browsers available have various built-in security features to protect users on-line.
Top 5 Anti-Virus Programs. I could name the" top 10 free and non-free AV programs" and every technical detail about them, but its pointless as newer features are continually added, and anti-virus programs are always updated on a daily basis.
BitDefender is the best line of defence against computer viruses, spyware, hackers and spam. It's an outstanding program with a user-friendly interface that will scan all existing files on your computer and incoming and outgoing emails. A set-up wizard makes it easy to customise the security settings. The effectiveness, updates and ease of Installation make this program another favourite.
Operating systems. Android - Mac - Windows.
Visit the following websites for more BitDefender product information and to download Bitdefender. Mobile: http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/toolbox/freeapps/mobile. Mac. http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/virus-scanner-for-mac.html.
Kaspersky is one of the best all-around anti-virus programs that works well to prevent viruses. Kaspersky is better than the well known Norton AntiVirus and McAfee in all aspects. It's light, fast and it won't slow down your PC as much as the other competition. This one is not free. It has also received numerous awards for performance, ease of use, value for money and the ability to keep your PC secure.
- Operating Systems. Android - Mac. Windows.
- Visit the following websites for more Kaspersky product information and to download Kaspersky.
Panda offers basic and advanced protection. Safe browsing & data Protection. Its detection rates and security tools are very good. Panda will optimise, protect, and make the most of your devices. Download and share files without any surprises. Shop and pay on-line with zero risks. Ideal for protecting children from dangerous sites. Nice and easy user interface.
Operating Systems. Windows. Mac.
Visit the following website for more Panda product information and to download Panda. https://www.panda.com.
Nod 32 - Esset
Eset NOD32 Reviews
Eset NOD32 is an extremely powerful program. Doesn't use up PC resources. It will protect you against all types of attacks such as viruses, hackers, worms, trojans, phishing and identity theft.
NOD32 Anti-virus Software offers real-time protection against all types of threats keeping your PC and data safe. Non-intrusive and very simple to use. My top favourite although this one is not free to download, it's definitely worth a mention. It helps you locate your device if it's stolen. Their anti-theft on-line feature kicks-in to help you track its location. It even takes webcam snapshots at specified intervals to help you locate its position. For Home or Business.
- Operating Systems. Android - linux - Mac. Windows.
- Visit the following websites for Esset Nod32, and other Eset products, information and to download Esset32. http://www.eset.co.uk/Home.
AVG is extremely popular, has a very good reputation and extremely powerful. It uses very little system resources and has a full-time protection utility with 'on access file scanner and e-mail scanner'. The program won't tax your system when scanning or when running in the background. Very effective and the interface is simple to navigate around. Best value for money.
Operating Systems. Android - Mac. Windows, Google Play.
Visit the following website for more AVG product information and to download AVG.https://www.avg.com/en-gb/homepage.
Video: Defeating The Hackers - BBC Documentary
Which Anti Virus Program Do You Prefer?
© 2007 Compu-Smart