- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software
What Is The Best AntiVirus Software? Reviews
Anti-virus Software / Program Reviews
Today's computer viruses are getting more sophisticated and aggressive than ever. Thankfully, with anti-virus software, you can help keep your data safe. and your computer completely free of infection with these free anti-virus programs.
What is a virus?
A virus is a computer program that copy's itself and infects computers without any permission or knowledge of the user. Other viruses are programmed to ruin your computer by damaging programs, deleting files or reformatting the hard disk.
Some viruses are not designed to do any damage but simply replicate themselves and make their presence known by presenting text, video, or audio messages. Some viruses can hide inside your computer for years, snooping and stealing passwords and other sensitive and secret information such as private files, videos and images and without you ever knowing. It's not just hackers trying to break into people's systems for fun, it's terrorists, thieves, fraudsters and paedophiles.
A virus can also cause erratic behaviour which will lead to system crashes, data loss and other weird and unexplained behaviour which is why it's so important to be protected.
10 Devastating Computer Viruses
Computer viruses come in all forms, shapes and sizes and can be deadly for your device.
Anti-Virus Round Up
When it comes to anti-virus programs/software, Norton and Mcafee are the two big players. They dominate the market and are a household name but they are not the best, In mine and many peoples opinions and experiences!
The most important questions I ask myself when looking for AV software are usually only answered once I have installed it. But, If I'm not satisfied, I will remove / un-install it and try another, it's that simple.
- Is it free? Just because it's free most people assume it won't work as-well as the paid for versions but free AV software have always worked very well. Take advantage of the free trial offers if they're not free and see how they perform in comparison to what you're used to.
- Will it drain my computer resources? Before you install any new AV software, check the "task manager" and "processes" to see how much CPU resources your current AV software is using and compare it to any new one you may install. You want to be secure yet you don't want to be slowed down in the process.!.
- Will it do it's job in stopping viruses? The only answer is download and use it. TRemember, websites like Facebook and Twitter have been hacked into including banking sites!.
- Is it non intrusive? Some AV software will pop-up just to confirm if it's OK to open a browser I just launched. A good program will recognise it's just a browser and it's obvious I wanted to launch it and that it's a safe and a recognised program.
- Is it easy to use? I have used many AV programs and some are not as user friendly as others. Only you can decide. The simple way is to install it and use it.
Note: Only have one AV program running at once!. No single program can guarantee it will catch or stop every virus attack but not having any protection installed is not recommended and increases your risk of getting a virus. Having said that I know someone who has never used any anti-virus software over the last 5 years of being on-line!.
Top 5 Anti-Virus Programs. I could name the" top 10 free and non free AV programs" and every technical detail about them, but its pointless as newer features are added, and anti-virus programs are always updated daily.
Kaspersky is the best all-around anti-virus program that works well to prevent viruses. Kaspersky is better than the well known Norton AntiVirus and McAfee in all aspects. It's light and fast and it won't slow down your PC as much as the other competition. This one is not free but I'm well informed to know how good it is. It has also received numerous awards for performance, ease of use, value for money and the ability to keep your PC secure.
- Operating Systems. Android - Mac. Windows and all Window's mobile devices.
- Visit the following websites for more Kaspersky product information and to download Kaspersky. http://www.kaspersky.co.uk + http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/android-security
Video: Eset Nod32
Eset NOD32 Reviews
Eset NOD32 is an extremely powerful program, yet does not use up much PC resources at all. It will protect you against all types of attacks such as viruses, hackers worms, Trojans, phishing and identity theft. For the Home or Business. NOD32 Anti-virus Software offers real-time protection against all these types of threats keeping your PC and data safe. Non-intrusive and very simple to use and my top favourite although this one is not free to download, but it's definitely worth a mention here. I love the feature (Luckily, I have never needed to use it but) it helps you locate your device if it's stolen. Their anti-theft on-line feature kicks in to help you track it's location. It even takes web-cam snapshots at specified intervals to help you locate it's position.
- Operating Systems. Android - linux - Mac. Windows and other Mobile Devices.
- Visit the following websites for Esset Nod32, and other Eset products, information and to download Esset32. http://www.eset.co.uk/Home
AVG is very popular, has a very good reputation and is extremely powerful. It uses very little system resources and has a full time protection utility with 'on access file scanner and e-mail scanner'. The program won't tax your system when scanning or when running in the background. Very effective and the interface is simple to navigate around.
- Operating Systems. Android - Mac. Windows, and Google Play mobile devices.
- Visit the following websites for more AVG product information and to download AVG. http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepage
Avast has two different interfaces, one for the average user and one for the advanced user. The simple interface is very easy to use and navigate around. The advanced interface has plenty of customising options to fit your needs. This software has good protection. It regularly checks for virus definition updates and is another popular free AV program. In addition to the free (Essential) version they have two non free called 'Inclusive' and 'Premier' editions so for the big business's or the security concious, you might want to consider the Inclusive and Premier and inclusive versions. I have only used the free versions without any problems.
Operating Systems. Android - Mac. Windows, and all Window's, Android / Google Play mobile devices.
Visit the following websites for more Avast product information and to download Avast. Once at the following website click on the MENU link top right of page for your device. https://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-mobile-security
Video: Panda Cloud
Panda Cloud Reviews
Panda Cloud Internet security will protect you from the usual viruses and spyware and all other Internet threats. Panda protects WiFi networks and has real-time anti-virus & anti-spyware protection. I have installed this program on many PCs and customer's are always happy with it's performance. Panda have a free, and non free versions but I have found the free one OK to use. If you want VIP support or are a corporate network or company then you may want to consider paying for the Panda Pro.
- Operating Systems.
- Android - Mac - Windows, and all Window's, Android / Google Play mobile devices.
- Visit the download location for more information http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/
Bitdefender is the best line of defence against computer viruses, spyware, hackers and spam. It's an outstanding program with a user friendly interface that will scan all existing files on your computer and incoming and out-going emails. A set-up wizard makes it easy to customize the security settings. The effectiveness, updates and ease of Installation makes this program another favourite.
- Operating systems. Android - Mac - Windows, and all Window's, Android / Google Play mobile devices.
- Visit the following websites for more Bitdefender product information and to download Bitdefender. http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/toolbox/freeapps/mobile/
Which Anti Virus Program Do You Like?
© 2007 compu-smart