A Visit to Bodh Gaya : The Buddhist Pilgrimage
World Heritage : The Buddhist Temple of Bodh Gaya
One of my childhood dream had been, to visit Bodh Gaya. Recently, when I got the opportunity to go there, the spiritual experience was just magical.
Bodh Gaya, is a small place in the state of Bihar, on the Northern side of India. A small place, with a big spiritual and religious significance, because it marks the origin of the Buddhist religion.
This place is the ultimate destination, for those who have faith and follow Buddhism. Bodh Gaya is considered to be, the most revered and sacred Buddhist site.
- The place has its historical importance, as it is believed to date back to the second century A.D. and most of us have read about this in our history books.
- It was amazing to see the descendant of the Pipal tree, under which Prince Siddhartha is said to have attained 'Enlightenment,'
- Prince Siddhartha or Gautama, his other name, had sat in meditation, under this Pipal tree for around fifty days.
- Not going into the details of the dates, the vast spread of its massive branches is just amazing. There is a lot of history attached to the place, but I was more interested in the visual delight--the serene atmosphere, the beautiful architecture and the majestic monument.
- One can experience and feel, a definite peace and serenity, around the whole place. There are lotuses engraved on the stone, where Lord Buddha supposedly put his foot first, after he attained 'Enlightenment'.
Be kind to all creatures. This is the true religion.
The Maha Bodhi Temple:
The Maha Bodhi temple is a tall, pyramid like structure. This is the main site, which attracts visitors, from all over the world and especially, those who have faith in the teachings of Lord Buddha.
This is the place, where Siddhartha Gautama became 'Lord Buddha'.
‘Bodh’ in Hindi, means 'Gyana' or Knowledge. 'Buddha' means 'The Enlightened One'.
People come here to be inspired, to shed their negative thoughts, or negative 'Karma'.
The temple houses a magnificent statue of Lord Buddha. The Buddhist monks can be seen here, sitting in meditation, paying respects to the 'Stupas'.
They take 'Parikrama’ (walking around), of the MahaBodhi temple, to pay their respect. The entire area is covered with greenery and old green trees. There is an unmistakable quietness and peace, which penetrates, deep into the soul, making it an experience of a lifetime.
Be patient. Everything comes to you, at the right moment.
Mahabodhi temple complex, Bodh Gaya, source: YouTube
Would you like to visit Bodh Gaya after reading this hub?
Judge nothing, you will be happy.
Forgive everyone, you will be happier.
Love everything, you will be happiest.
The Mahabodhi Tree:
The Maha Bodhi Tree:
- To the west of the Maha Bodhi temple, one can see the sacred Mahabodhi tree, under which Buddha attained enlightenment. This led him to achieve the status of Lord Buddha.
- The magnificence of the tree, has to be seen, to be believed. The wide and huge trunk, confirms the age of this tree. The Mahabodhi tree is spread all over, making it difficult to see from one end to another.
- It is all over the place, spreading its branches all around. The supporting roots have grown into, many other huge trees. One can see the Buddhist monks, sitting in meditation everywhere, and there is Peace all around.
How do you reach Bodh Gaya:
- Thousands of Buddhist pilgrims, visit this beautiful temple, spread all around, with lavish green landscape, throughout the year.
- The Government of India, and other travel agents, provide all the information, regarding the route options, hotels, preferred time to visit and other relevant details, on their websites, as well as their registered offices.
- Well maintained hotels and restaurants, can be found, outside the premises of the temple.
- You can reach Bodh Gaya, either by plane, or the train, or by the road. If you prefer to travel by road, Gaya is 110 km. from Patna, the capital of Bihar.
- The nearest airport is the Gaya airport, around 17 km. from the main temple. From the airport, taxi services are available, to reach the main temple.
- Another option is to land at the Patna airport, and take a cab to Gaya. Patna has connecting flights from New Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.
- It is advisable to have consultations, with a reputed travel agency, before embarking upon your journey.
- There are some good options of staying there, the hotels and the restaurants, about which you can get the information and bookings done, through these travel agencies, and you can also arrange for a guided tour.
- Outside the temple, one can find some beautiful art and craft items being sold. These handcrafted items are related to this amazing World Heritage temple. People buy these beautiful art pieces, as a memento to keep with themselves, or to gift to their family and friends.
Bodh Gaya, source: You tube
References: Here are some reliable travel sites , that will guide you if you want to visit Bodh Gaya
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan