10 Best Camping Destinations in Uttarakhand
A CAMPING PARADISE
10 Best Places to go Camping in Uttarakhand
Summer vacations are that time of the year, when most of us plan to go for that dream vacation to some exotic/ hitherto unexplored place. Mostly it is a hill station for us Indians looking to escape the tyrannical Sun. Although destinations abroad are quite a favourite lately, hilly areas in the lap of the Himalayas continue to attract adventure aficionados.
Summer is the perfect season to go for camping, rafting and trekking in the hilly areas of the Himalayas. Uttarakhand in the north of India has become synonymous with camping, with an array of beautiful destinations just perfect for a tranquil time with nature. Let me take you camp hopping across the beautiful state of Uttarakhand......
- Camp with the Ganges at Shivpuri...
At 16 kms. from Rishikesh, Shivpuri is a campers’ heaven. The camps are set on the rich white sand of the river beach, in between the gurgling Ganges on one side and its tributary on the other. Activities like river rafting, kayaking, mountain climbing, trekking through the jungle, jungle walks, beach volleyball & bonfire etc. ensure ample adventure with relaxation for you. You have the option to choose the tent- basic/ medium/ luxury. Tour packages are also available to suit your requirements. The best time to visit Shivpuri is winter, however, with summer temperature 34 degrees C & cool river breeze, it is indeed a pleasant climate to be in.
- In the Rustic Charm of Kanatal.... Around 33 kms. from Mussoorie, Kanatal is the ideal location for outdoor camping in Uttarakhand. The most wintry destination near Delhi, Kanatal is situated at 2590 m above sea level in Tehri Garhwal. Nestled in the heart of lush woods housing rhododendrons, oak trees, multi colored wild flowers, fruit trees, medicinal herbs & deodars, Kanatal is on the Mussoorie-Chamba Road. Away from the urban chaos, Kanatal provides serene environs with spectacular views. With campers thronging from around the globe, Kanatal offers tent choices ranging from basic camps to Swiss cottage tents & bamboo huts. While camping, you can also enjoy rappelling, bonfire, trekking, rope-climbing, volley ball, rock-climbing, nature walks & yoga. It is pleasant to go there throughout the year.
- 7 for Adventure at Sattal..!!!! Located in the Kumaon hills, this unique cluster of seven interconnected lakes (Sat= 7, tal=lake), Sattal is an ideal camping destination. Enveloped by lush greens and towering mountains, Sattal at 1370 m above sea level is far from commercialized and offers an absolutely peaceful ambience optimal for camping. Go hiking through the forest, enjoy bird watching and on your lucky day, you could also sight barking deer. Walking through the woods you would come across areas dotted with tents with people enjoying different activities like rappelling, kayaking, angling, trekking, etc. Best time to visit Sattal is March- June and September- December.
- Tranquillity in the Backdrop of Snow at Deoria Tal.... Located off the road from Sari Village & Mastura at 3kms, Deoria Tal is the best summer camping destination for the adventure lovers. Overlooking the Himalayas, Deoria Tal falls on a much visited trek route of Uttarakhand leading to Tungnath, the highest temple of Lord Shiva. Deoria Tal is very isolated, with a crystal clear lake in the center; the aesthetic backdrop is adorned by the snow-clad Chaukhamba Mountains. A clear sky allows for a great reflection of the mighty mountains in the still lake water. Trekking is the only way you can reach Deoria Tal, with an uphill climb throughout. At Deoria Tal, renting a tent & sleeping bag could cost around INR 550, excluding cooking. Camping in groups is economical.
- Bring out Your Religious Side in Chopta.. Regarded 1 of the best camping sites in India, Chopta at 2900m above sea level is the base for the trek to Tungnath Temple, the highest shrine of Lord Shiva. From Chopta, you could enjoy the fantastic views of the mighty peaks of Nanda Devi, Chaukhamba and Trishul. It is covered with forests housing deodar, pine and rhododendron trees. From here, you could head out for treks to Tungnath Temple, Deoria Tal, Chandrashila, etc. The best times to visit Chopta are April- June & September- November. Chopta lies in Rudraprayag district. Camping at Chopta in summer is the best option because the clear sky offers stunning view of the mountain peaks. A variety of tent accommodation, including dome tents and family tents are available. Most tents offer food, water and toilet facility. You can go trekking, take photographs or simply soak in the natural beauty.
- Explore the Virgin Camping Sites at Chaukori.. Chaukori is a beautiful yet somewhat unknown camping destination of Uttarakhand. It is surrounded by woods & lush meadows. Situated in district Pithoragarh, at 2010m above sea level, Chaukori is a picturesque hamlet overlooking the Himalayan peaks like Nanda Devi, Trishul, Nanda Kot & Chaukhamba. Chaukori is better known for its tea gardens established by the British. Best times to visit it are March- June and September- November. So, go camping and enjoy the breathtaking views of sunrise & sunset in the lap of pristine nature!
- Nature Unplugged at Tons Valley... Located in Jaunsar Bawar region, the Tons valley is a great camping place in Uttarakhand. At 3000m above sea level, Tons valley offers the most breathtaking views. This valley houses Chakrata & Dehradun. It has dense forests that are home to trees like deodar, pine, jamun, oak, chestnut, birch & rhododendron. You could go hiking, enjoy nature walks, bird watching & angling. Something very interesting is that in some parts of Tons valley, in place of the Pandavas, the Kauravas are revered as Gods.
- In Camp with the Chirpy Friends at Pangot..!!! At some 15 kms. from Nainital, Pangot is a small village with a lush green cover, and offers great opportunity to camp in the midst of absolute natural tranquillity. Boasting of a wholesome climate in summer, Pangot is a great summer camping destination. Pangot is a treat for the bird watchers. There are a number of trekking trails naturally adorned with seasonal as well as perennial creeks & brooks. Wild animals like sambhar, ghoral & barking deer can also be sighted. March- July is the best time to visit, with rhododendrons in full bloom. From basic tents to Swiss tents with independent toilets, hot shower, etc., you have many accommodation options. Wildlike Safaris, nature walks, rock climbing, rafting, etc., are some things you can enjoy.
- Camping in the meadows of Dayara Bugyal.... Dayara Bugyal, considered to have the best meadows in India, is a fabulous camping site. Situated in Garhwal, Dayara Bugyal stretches out far and it is fringed by the high mountains. There are Oak and Rhododendron forests, and tall pine trees border the meadows. Mountain peaks like Bhagirathi and Black Peak are visible. Camping in Dayara Bugyal is restricted to its suburbs, though nearby meadows like Devikund, Siyaari and Dodital. In winter, Dayara Bugyal becomes a skiing destination. It is a base camp quite popular among trekkers, as many trekking destinations are close to Dayara Bugyal. Many pocket friendly & convenient accommodation options are at your disposal here.
- Soak in the Nature’s Marvel at Auli….Counted among India’s best skiing destinations, Auli is a treat throughout the year. Spectacular views of dense coniferous forests & mist-laden valleys lend it a dreamy ambience. Situated in Chamoli, at 3049 m above mean sea level, it is one of the most popular camping destinations. Best time to go there is November- March; the snow season is November- February. You can sit in a tent right beside an unblemished water-body or simply enjoy a nature walk in the middle of woods. Other than skiing and camping, trekking is very common in Auli. You should not miss the cable car ride that flaunts the stunning natural panorama called Auli.
Nature is a powerful source of rejuvenation and the quintessential tool to get acquainted with yourself. So pack your bags and head to your choicest destination in Uttarakhand for a memorable camping vacation. The salutary climate, the lush wilderness, the ice capped mountains, the rich wildlife, and oodles of unforgettable adventure beckon you.......