Places to Visit in the State of Alabama
Our Journey Continues Through Alabama
1. Talladega Super Speedway, Talladega, AL: Come on over and watch the races. This place is so much more than just racing. There's camping on the grounds at Talladega. This is a fun filled day for the whole family. You can listen to music, grill out and have some great and fun times at the track. The top professional race drivers in America grace this track annually. Race car driving is a huge business so Talladega, AL is buzzing with activity during the races.
2. The Dismals, Phil Campbell, AL: This is a beautiful place to visit. The slogan on Alabama's sign when you reach a state line is Alabama The Beautiful. This is true of Phil Campbell, AL. The Dismals are made up of 85 acres and has been named as a Natural National Landmark in May of 1974. It is believed that Jesse James had once hid out in these canyons. I always feel like this is a secret of Alabama. I don't know how many of the residents of The State of Alabama even know about this hidden gem. Nature trails, rocks, streams and a nice day being outside is what you can look forward to at The Dismals. There are cabins that can be rented and you can stay on site.
3. Mini Jerusalem, Cullman, AL A truly amazing place. The grounds are well kept and manicured for your viewing pleasure. You are allowed to walk through the gardens and see miniature replicas on different "scenes" from the Bible for example, The Tower of Babel and Noah's Ark. All kinds of materials were used by the monk to create these works of art. Marbles, rocks, glass and shells are just some of the things that he he used to re-create scenes from The Bible.
4. The Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament, Hanceville, AL: This is the headquarters of The Catholic Church in Alabama. It features a replica of The Shroud of Turin and a bleeding Jesus statue. There's a gift shop on site as well, before you leave the grounds, you should pick up a souvenir or a gift for someone.
5. Smith Lake (Cullman County and Walker County): The lake is so large and covers so much area that there are places that you can just pull your car over and jump in and swim. I have snorkled in this lake many times. I have found some interesting things, a lot of fishing lures. It is a great place to fish, lay in the sun, swim and it's great for the kids. Different areas around the lake are state parks with areas to camp. Every part of Smith Lake that I have been to or stopped at, has been very nice.
6. McWayne Science Center/I-Max Theater, Birmingham, AL: A museum dedicated to science with hands-on exhibits for all ages. Also, features an I-Max Theater Dome with surround sound where movies can be seen on a very large screen and in 3D. A traveling exhibit, such as Dinosaurs, occasionally does a museum tour.
7. Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL: When I think of this area I think of the wonderful seafood, put-put golf, the sand, water, deep sea fishing, good times with friends and family. This is where memories are made. These Alabama beaches also features top musicians every year performing concerts.
8. Tanger Outlet Stores, Foley, AL: There are at least 150 stores featured in one area. There are some great bargains to be found here. Clothing, jewelry and restaurants are located at this massive mall. Great designer clothing stores like The Gap, American Eagle and Ambercrombie are located here with massive price reductions.
9. The Birmingham Civil Rights Museum, Birmingham, AL: Illustrates the struggle for human rights and Birmingham was in the heart of that struggle. This museum has lots of articles for reading regarding the struggle of African Americans.
10. The UNA Lions (Leo III and UNA), Florence, AL: Male lion Leo III and female lion UNA. They are kept on the campus of The University of North Alabama in a sanctuary that was built by donations given by people in the community and The University .
Please let me know what your favorite activity in Alabama is by leaving a comment in the box located at the bottom of this page.
McWayne Science Center
Have you been?
Have you ever been to Gulf Shores, Alabama?
Links to Alabama
- Rickwood Caverns State Park in Warrior, Alabama
This article focuses on Rick wood Caverns in Warrior, Alabama. The cave has a tour and their are many other attractions and adventures located at this cave sight.
- Things To Do in Orange Beach, Alabama
This vacation hub documents the different things to do in Orange Beach, AL. Snorkeling, laying out in the sun, fishing, glass bottom boat tours and parasailing are all apart of the fun. Pictures, videos, maps, a quiz and commentary are listed in this
- The Race Track in Birmingham, Alabama
This article is about the Race Course in Birmingham, AL. You can bet on the dogs, while you are eating top notch food. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, quizzes and commentary are in this hub.
- The Birmingham Zoo
This article is about the Birmingham Zoo located in Alabama. This zoo has lions, tigers, gorillas, monkeys and snakes. You also can take a train ride around the park at any time. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are featured in t
- The Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament
I visited the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, AL. This is a great place to visit if you are looking for a day trip that is not expensive. It has a beautiful Cathedral and religious pictures adorned the walls. My favorite is the life si
- A Day at Vulcan Park in Birmingham, Alabama
This article focuses on Vulcan Park located in Birmingham, Alabama. It features a huge iron statue, an eating area and a fantastic view of the city from the top of the mountain. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are all highlighte
Oak Mountain State Park
This is the largest state park in Alabama. It has swimming, fishing, hiking, camping, bird watching and an animal refuge. The park also has an outside full length basketball court and lots of trails that lead to different things to do throughout the park. For grilling out their are grills and of course lots of acreage is available for picnics.
Where is it?
view quiz statistics
Location of Gulf Shores
Birmingham Zoo Train Ride
© 2012 Buster Johnson