12 Interesting Facts About Indiana
1. Abraham Lincoln moved to Indiana when he was 7 and lived most of his childhood there.
2. The state motto is "The Crossroads of America."
3. The city of Fort Wayne is named after General Anthony Wayne, who defeated the Native Americans at the Battle of Fallen Timber.
4. Wabash, Indiana was the first city to have electric street lights.
5. Peru, Indiana was once known as "The Circus Capital of America."
6. Indianapolis is the only U.S. major city not on a navigable river.
7. The Indianapolis 500 is the largest single day sporting event in the world.
8. Famous author Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. was from Indianapolis.
9. The first professional baseball game was played in Fort Wayne in 1871.
10. Michael Jackson and The Jackson Five got their start in Gary, Indiana
11. Santa Claus, Indiana, receives more than one-half million letters during the Christmas season.
12. A person from Indiana is called a Hoosier, but the origination of the term is uncertain.