12 Interesting Facts About Michigan
1. The world's largest limestone quarry is in Rogers City, Michigan.
2. The Detroit-Windsor border is the busiest border between the United States and Canada.
3. In Michigan, you are never more than six miles from an inland lake or stream.
4. Vernor's ginger ale, created in Detroit, was the first soda pop made in the United States.
5. The J.W. Wescott II, operating out of Detroit is the only floating post office in the world and delivers mail to other ships.
6. Michigan has more lighthouses than any other U.S. state.
7. Michigan has more public golf courses than any other state.
8. Michigan has more shoreline than any other state except Alaska
9. Michigan is the largest producer of cherries of all the states.
10. The name of the state is derived from the Indian words "Michi-gama" meaning large lake.
11. Michigan's state motto is "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice" in Latin, which translates to, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."
12. Henry Ford, inventor of the assembly line for automobile manufacturing, grew up in Michigan.