2 Awesome Places To Visit In Surigao Del Sur, Philippines
You might be asking why I have called these an awesome places to travel to Surigao del Sur. That is because I have not seen like these places in my entire life. I was gobsmacked by the look of this beautiful nature in my home country Philippines. I have never thought that I would see something like this before going back home to Germany again.
I know, you might be thinking, "get straight to the point woman " while reading this introduction. Well, if you are interested to see and find out what I am talking about, read on.
The 2 Awesome Places Are:
- Laswitan Falls and Lagoon
- Britania Islands
1. Laswitan Falls and Lagoon
Laswitan Falls and Lagoon is located in Barangay Madrelino, Cortes, Surigao del Sur. It is 4 to 5 hours travel by van from Butuan City, depending on the traffic jam you encounter.
The name Laswitan came from the word "laswit", which means the crashing of the ocean or sea waves that fall over the sea wall rock formations. It is the strong wave of the Philippines Sea that makes a waterfall-like effect. Usually, when the waves are so high. Laswitan Falls is not really a waterfall. The sea wall rock formations is about 20 ft high.
Laswitan Lagoon is the basin where the laswit water falls and where you can swim while "laswit" or not is going on. Most of the people are travelers who just want to witness the amazing view of Laswitan and of course to take photos and selfies before going home or traveling to their next travel destinations. Most of the locals have not been there yet, as I have heard.
Laswitan Falls and Lagoon PhotographyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Things You Need For The Travel
Clothes and more
Food and Drinks
Good sport shoes / Flip Flops
Water / mineral water
Bread or sandwiches
Boiled rice or potatoes
Hat / cap / umbrella
My Travel To Laswitan Falls and Lagoon
It was in the early morning of March 11 when my batch mates 77 (high school classmates 1977), my cousin and I started traveling to Surigao del Sur. Our travel destinations were Laswitan Falls and Lagoon and the neighboring Britania Islands for islands hopping. We started our travel at 4. 20 in the morning when everyone was already inside the van that we have rented for that day travel. The van rental was 5,000 Pesos for a day trip which was divided for all the travelers who joined.
It was a fun and enjoyable road trip though most of us, including me, were not able to sleep the night before the travel due to excitement. Every now and then we slept in the van but were awaken by the rough roads we have passed through. We shouted in shock and the pain that I had when I hit my head on the seat before me. Yes, it was a rough travel but a worth one to experience.
It was around 9.10 a.m. when we arrived at Laswitan. Yes, I am sure of that time as I have took a video from the stairs in going to Laswitan Falls, overlooking the Philippine Sea. It was then 9.20. We have walked for a while before arriving at the entrance of Laswitan where we paid 20 Pesos for an entrance fee and had to register our names on a notebook. There was not many people yet but what I heard from the stairs was a loud microphone voice telling the tourists to come down from the high rock formations as it was prohibited to climb in there.
We were a bit disappointed as we have not seen many "laswits". Though the sun was really so biting hot, we sat on the rocks before the lagoon to witness the amazing scene. While waiting, we were having fun taking selfies and photos of us and the surrounding. We waited and waited until we heard a loud sound of the waves that was about to strike over the rocky sea wall of Laswitan. Audience were crying out loud and happy seeing the spectacular event.
It was a great view. However, I have wished and expected more splashing of the huge waves that might make me wet by the salty water of the sea. Well, maybe next time.
Facts About Laswitan
- Laswitan is at the Philippine Sea in Surigao del Sur.
- It has 120 steps in going down to the lagoon where one can rent a cottage in front of the Laswitan Falls and Lagoon.
- Entrance fee is 20 Pesos.
- Cottage costs 200 Pesos.
- Open from 8 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon. Monday to Sunday.
2. Britania Islands
Britania is a group of beautiful 24 small islands (Source: Wikipedia), some with white beaches and they are scattered in Lianga Bay near the Philippines Sea. It is located in San Augustin in Surigao del Sur.
Britania like Laswitan, is no longer a secret place to visit as some travelers were posting videos at You Tube and shared them all around the social medias like facebook. This was how I came to know the place.
We rented a motor boat which costed 1,500 Pesos to reach the islands. We took our lunch first inside the motor boat before we went exploring the islands, one after the others. We were only allowed to hop in 3 white sandy beaches where we were able to explore, swam and took photos and videos of our amazing island hopping. The white sandy beaches, the deep blue clear water and the fun bonding of my batch mates and cousin was a wonderful memory that we have created amidst the skin burning heat of the sun. It was indeed fun.
Things You Can Do When Island Hopping
- Have a picnic with your family and friends at one of the islands in Britania.
- A wonderful venue to propose to a woman you love.
- A wonderful place for a photo shots.
- Explore the islands and don't forget to bring your smartphone, camera and video camera for your travel blog if you are a writer like me.
- You can swim and of course dive and see the colorful beautiful scenery under the water.
- You can jet ski if you wish.
Facts About Visiting Britania
- There is no ATM machine there and so bring cash with you as you will not only have to pay for the motor boat for island hopping but also for the entrance, for taking shower and using the toilet.
- There are a few tourist stalls in one of the islands selling products from Britania including seafoods.
- Motor boat fee is 1,500 Peso for 10 people boat ride and only 3 islands to hop in.
How To Go Laswitan and Britania Islands
- If you come from Manila, you can fly to Butuan City and rent a van for a day in going to Laswitan and Britania Islands. If your hotel is in Butuan City, your van will bring you back to the hotel.
- You can fly from Manila to Davao City and from there, you can travel to Laswitan and other places you want to visit nearby like the Tinuy-an Falls.
- There are travel agencies and hotel who can organise your travel itinerary.
Thank you very much for taking the time in reading my hub. Until next travel. Bon Voyage!!!