20 Fun & Interesting Facts About Honduras
1. Honduras was first conquered by Spain who was in search of gold and silver deposits in the mountains surrounding it. They achieved independence from Spain in 1821
2. Honduras is considered the cradle of the Mayan civilizations. There are many historical monuments left from this once great civilization. Mayan civilization flourished during the times before Columbus landed
3. Honduras has an unusual school calendar do correlate with the agricultural harvesting times. School years run from February to November in Honduras
4. Poverty is very high in Honduras; most children must help provide for families instead of going to school. Many of them help out in the city markets or the sugar cane fields to help make ends meet.
5. Majority of Honduras people are Roman Catholic, this was introduced after Spain originally conquered the territory. Although the Honduran constitution does allow for freedom of religion
6. López Rodezno is a Honduran painter, who founded the National School of Arts and Crafts in Comayagüela,
7. Honduras has quite a tradition of traditional and cultural music. It is most famous for brining folk beat to the world.
8. Carnaval at La Ceiba, is the most popular festival in Honduras
9. Soccer is the main sport in Honduras
10. Honduras is known for its complete ruins from the Maya. Many of the original pyramids of their time are still in the original state. Time has been good to them and can be visited today.
11. Honduras has many natural wonders not found anywhere else in the world. The most famous is Honduran caves. These caves traverse the mountains that surround Honduras and have produced some of the most complete stalagmites in the world.
12. Dia del Nino, or Children’s Day is celebrated the first part of September every year
13. Honduran flag has three strips and four stars representing each state that makes up Honduras. These states all have representatives in the legislative bodies
14. More exotic animals are available to be seen in Honduras then other Latin America countries.
15. Copan is the most popular historical destination in Honduras. It has some of the most complete historical locations in all of Honduras.
16. The bay islands near Honduran coast have the second largest natural reef in the world. It is home to the most exotic and rare sea creatures in the world. The reef is highly regarded by the Honduran government and is patrolled regularly against environmental damaged
17. Honduras has the largest protected rain forest on earth in the Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve. It is protected because of the rarity of many of the animals that call it home.
18. Divers and snorkelers love the natural beauty of bay islands in Honduras. They have been a destination of tourist that wants to experience some of the most beautiful and untouched sea life in the world.
19. Honduras is currently in the process of democratic reform of the instituted government. They are establishing a constitutional republic to help serve the people better.
20. More coups have been successful in Honduras than any other Latin American country.
- Welcome | ExpatCrossing.com
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com!This is newest website dedicated to the Expatriate Community. If you are moveing international, transitioning oversea...
- 7 Fun & Interesting Places to See in Honduras
The endless possibilities of things to do and explore in Honduras are exciting so I am going to list some of the top adventures that I hope you will consider doing.
- Rural Poverty in Honduras
Honduras is one of several Latin American countries dealing with poverty. The people of Honduras are hit especially hard by this because of the proximity of their general population. Most of Hondurass population is centered in the rural areas of the
- Top 5 Places to visit in Honduras
Top 5 Places to visit in Honduras