20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Canada
1. Canadians have unique words for basic items. For example, bacon in Canada is called “back bacon”
2. Canada is such a large country that many portions of it are very remote. This has made it a challenge for modern conveniences like indoor plumbing to be installed this has resulted in 3 out of 10 households in Canada have working toilets or running water.
3. As with other countries, they have national sports. However, In Canada soccer is not the most popular sport. The spots of hockey and Lacrosse are the most popular.
4. Canada’s national mail system has been in operation since the early 1900s. However, to save money they decided to cut out Saturday mail a delivery which has not been available for the last 35 years.
5. The world’s leading consumer of Mac and Cheese is in Canada. With so many remote
Have you ever Visited Canada?
locations, it is consumed because it is very quick and easy to prepare over a warm fire.
6. The first European visitors that came to settle in North America were not Columbus but the Vikings. They first settled Canada around 1000 A.D
7. Canada officially became Canada in 1867 a declaration signed into law by the British parliament
8. The head of state in Canada is actually Queen Elizabeth II
9. Canada is the largest country in the world with the largest supply of fresh water available. Canada has almost 10 percent of its land covered in fresh water
10. The CN Tower in Toronto was the world's tallest free-standing structure until it was eclipsed in 2007
11. Newfoundland was the first province in Canada to be explored by Europeans, and the last to become a province in 1847
12. When we look at the world map, there are hundreds of countries borders. However, the longest border in the world is the border between Canada and the United States.
13. The U.S. has tried to make Canada a 52nd state several times some with invasion some with diplomacy each has failed.
14. Canada has been a country for a few hundred years. However, like most countries they never established a flag to help identify themselves. It was not until a design in 1965 that Canada had created its official flag.
15. Due to the accent and the French influence in Canada most peoples have a particular ending to asking a question. Most people in Canada go “A” After a question.
16. The wonderful way we get our news, movies, and theatrical events in today’s home is by the use of the television. The television was actually invented in Canada before being consumed by the rest of the world.
17. The largest beaver in the world is living in Canada in the Beaver lodge
18. Canada has the largest number of Ice fisher in the world do to the largest and remotest population in the northern parts of Canada.
19. Canada actually only has claim rights on the North Pole no one actually owns it
20. Canada has 60 words to describe “snow” and 18 for “camel.”