20 Fun & Interesting Facts about England
1. England was the leaders in exploration for hundreds of years. However, only the explorers were able to see the world. To change this they made the world’s first zoo in London in 1829. This brought some of the adventures home.
2. England is known for its historical castles that date back, hundreds of years. It is also home to the world’s largest castle, Windsor Castle which is also, the largest royal family home in the world
3. Beer was often served with breakfast in medieval times. It was cheap and easy to make so many people often served beer with all the meal during the day.
4. The country of England Adopted the Gregorian calendar 2 years after the world declared it realistic
5. The first telephone directory was established in England in 1880 and only included 25 names
6. England loves their tea they import and drink more tea than any other country on earth. They have established precedence on how to properly server and drink this infamous beverage.
7. Big Bend is actually the name of the clock which is situated in St. Stephens Tower. It is still the world’s most famous clock tower
8. Queen Victoria loved Valentine’s Day the most in her reign she sent over 2500 cards for her constituents
9. The first hot chocolate was served in England in the early 1600s
10. London is one of the largest cities in Europe. It covers more square miles than most and has a population of over 12 million people
11. England has many popular sports that it has brought to the world including rugby, soccer, and polo. These sports are now played across the globe in many different countries.
12. England had a very large colonial empire consisting over 20 territories at the peak. The countries spanned the globe, and made England a very infamous power during colonial times.
13. Contrary to popular belief French was the dominate language in England from, 1020 to the late 1600s
14. British police do not carry guns unless it is an emergency
15. The world’s first Modern Olympic Games were held in England in the 1850s. It brought the world together in a common interest. It also gave the worlds athletes a chance to display their talents.
16. The Rothschild’s art collection is the largest in the world even rivaling the Louvre in Paris, France. It contains artwork from some of the most famous artist is history including Picasso, Michelangelo, and David.
17. The first drive through safari zoo experience opened in England in 1966. This was a chance for people to experience the wonders of an African safari right in their back yard.
18. Oxford University is considered the most prestigious school in the world for an education
19. Oxford has rules still on the books that it is illegal to bring bows and arrows to class
20. There are three ghosts in the at the Hampton house one of which is a monkey which has been seen periodically. These ghosts according to witnesses have regular manifestations at all times of the day. Making it one of the most documented haunting in the world.
- Tour the Thames River, London England
There are many unique ways to see many parts of the world. One way that I have discovered that is not as well known about in London England is a boat ride up the Thames.
- Fun & Interesting Facts about England
England is known for its colourful and rich heritage and culture. Places, people, myths and legends come together to tell stories to inspire and fascinate. England’s buildings and monuments reveal the country intriguing and often turbulent past.
- Welcome | ExpatCrossing.com
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com!This is newest website dedicated to the Expatriate Community. If you are moveing international, transitioning oversea...