- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Maine
1. Maine is so Far East at its northern point that one city receives the first rays of sunshine before anyone else. That the city is Eastport, Maine.
2. Wilton, Main e is famous for only importing and canning dandelion greens. They are the only place in the country that specializes in it.
3. Maine is the only state in the country that is pronounced with one symbol
4. There is a town in main that is known as the City of ships, It is Bath.
5. Joshua L. Chamberlain saw a lot of battles during the civil war. He was field promoted to
General and soon died of his wounds he was the last civil war solider to die of war wounds.
6. Maine has an expansive forest called the White Mountain national forest. The protected lands cover almost 800,000 acres.
7. Aroostook is the largest county in Maine and is larger than the state of Connecticut, and Rhode Island combined.
8. The nations main lobster supply comes from the north Atlantic off the coast of Maine. It produces over 40 million pounds of lobster on an annual basis.
9. The cash crop of Maine is blueberries. It produces more blueberries than any other state in the union. Its market share on blueberries is close to 99%
10. Maine was first colonized by ice age hunters that had come over from the Greenland and northern Canada.
11. Maine’s capital has changed a number of times. Most recently from Portland Maine to Augusta since it is more centrally located.
12. Arcadia National park in Maine is world renowned for its beauty and natural wonders. It is the most visited national park in all of the United States.
13. The most easterly land that is attached to the continental United States is in Maine. It is west Quoddy.
14. The highest point in Maine that attracts thousands of rock climbers each year is Mt Katahdin.
15. The first hospital solely responsible for helping veterans was build in Togus Maine in 1866
16. Maine was first reached by European settlers in 1607. When they reached Maine, the conditions were to harsh and an attempt to make a permanent settlement there failed.
17. Maine has a large supply of hardwoods available to cut down. As a result, the largest supply of toothpicks produced in the country is from the State of Maine.
18. Former President George bush has a famous summer home in Kennebunkport Maine.
19. The Largest alternative fashion maker in the US LL bean Company is located in Freeport.
20. Maine is so large that you could place 5 other New England states, and it would still have room in there. There are approximately 35000 square miles of land.