20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Mexico
1. Mexico has a population of over 110 million most of which reside in the capitol
2. The capitol of Mexico is Mexico City. It is in the top ten most populous cities in the world.
3. The first printing press was used in Mexico City in the early 1500s to warn residents about upcoming war
4. The beautiful monarch butterfly migrates south to Mexico every year from thousands of miles away. They come from caterpillars that nest on trees in New England and other northern states. After 3 months they emerged transformed into the orange and black monarch butterfly we all know
5. The Mexico and United states boarder is the second longest boarder between any other countries in the World. The first largest border is between the US and Canada.
6. Mexico has very unique wildlife including the volcano rabbit whose habitat is always near a volcano.
7. Mexico celebrates Christmas every year but the child’s gifts are not given until the 6th of January when they celebrate the arrival of the three wise men.
8. In ancient Mexico the Mayans used a variety of unique weapons one of which was a hornet bomb it was a horde of bees thrown at an enemy in combat
9. Mexico has the oldest archeological civilization outside Egypt
10. The first real recorded evidence of human sacrifice was found around the Aztec pyramids of Mexico. The Mayans were the first one to perform ritualistic sacrifices to the gods of their choosing. This resulted in thousands of individuals being sacrificed.
11. Conquistador Hernan Cortés arrived in early 1500s, the Aztecs believed he was their returning god that fulfilled the ancient old prophecy
12. One of the greatest testaments to manmade ingenuity is in Mexico/ the Chichen Itza pyramid was named one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. It still can be seen today nd thousands of visitors visit it every year.
13. NAFTA the North American free trade agreement was signed with the United States and Canada in 1995
14. Mexico was a colony of Spain until they claimed independence in the early 1800s nearly three hundred years of Spanish rule behind them
15. Mexico’s most prevalent religion is Roman Catholic. However, Mexico’s constitution provides freedom of religion to all of its citizens.
16. Mexico’s most famous sport is Soccer. It has been to more FIFA cups then any other country even if it has not won that many.
17. Mexico get wrecked with volcanoes and earthquakes because it is located in the equilateral line of the ring of fire
18. Mexico was the first country in the world to develop chocolate at soon took the world by storm and has continued to delight and satisfy the chocolate lovers of the world.
19. Zapotec civilization 600BC was the first American civilization to develop a writing system in the Americas.
20. The most feared ancient god in Mexico’s mythology was Quetzalcoatl. He is still feared by many of the local native Indians that worship his religion.