20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Switzerland
1. More than 50% of the electricity generated in Switzerland is made from hydro power. They have also instituted a new policy to have over 85% of their electricity being generated by renewable resources like, solar, wind, and hydro by the year 2020
2. Switzerland is the smallest country in Europe. However, it has the largest population in Europe per square mile than any other country.
3. There are more financial institutions in Switzerland then there are doctors. Financial doctrine in Switzerland is very strict. Many individuals use Switzerland as a tax haven from other countries.
4. Charlie Chaplin died in Switzerland in 1976 and they erected the first statue in his honor. He was one of the first outside comedians that the Switzerland population loved.
5. Swiss army knives where painted red so that if they were lost they could be easily found in the snow. They now produce more mutli-tool knives thank any country in the world.
6. Switzerland outlawed the death penalty earlier than any country in the world 1790. For serious offences it will instate multiple life sentences.
7. After World War I a law was enacted that every home and citizen have access to a bomb shelter with in less than a mile from their residence
8. Switzerland has the most lakes than any other country in the world. Every one of them carries a story and special meaning.
9. No matter where you are in Switzerland you are never more than 10 miles from a lake.
10. Switzerland’s flag is square compared to other countries that are oblong
11. Swiss guards are considered the highest trained military personal in the world they even guard the Vatican in Rome
12. The Swiss franc is among the world's most stable currencies. Due to the monetary policy of Switzerland banks, and the wise decisions of their investors.
13. Switzerland is known for its exotic and expensive watches but it is also known for the cheapest watch made the swatch
14. Homes are too expensive in Switzerland, so many private citizen do not own their home
15. Switzerland banks are not required to release banking information about private people many believe there are still lost Nazi treasures secured there
16. In most major wars Switzerland has always declared neutrality. Switzerland does not like to get involved in world politics or affairs and likes to stay have a policy of isolation
17. Nestle was founded in Switzerland and is now the largest food manufacture in the world
18. The capitol of Switzerland is Bern. Bern is one of the most architectural rich cities in all of Europe
19. The major religion in Switzerland, catholic followed by protestant the Swiss Guard can often be seen as personal body guards of the Pope in Rome.
20. It is illegal for Islamic followers to build a mosque in Switzerland. There are some religions in the worlds that are not tolerated in Switzerland. However, private home practice is not forbidden of any religion.
- Fun Facts & Interesting Places to visit in Switzerland
I could not keep myself from doing an additional 5 reasons for visiting Switzerland mainly because I could not limit it to just 5 so here is an additional 5 reason to visit Switzerland. Not only is Switzerland the central hub of Europe being bordered
- Moving to Switzerland
Switzerland is the shadow of the European Union tucked away between major countries it is a lost paradise to some and tax haven for others. But, what do you think about when you hear the word Switzerland?
- Top 5 Fun & Interesting Places to Visit in Switzerland
Switzerland is full of many beautiful wonders and exotic charm. It is the country of the Alps according to some. It is bordered by France, Germany and other European countries and it is the gateway to many. It is one of the richest countries in the w
- Welcome | ExpatCrossing.com
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com!This is newest website dedicated to the Expatriate Community. If you are moveing international, transitioning oversea...