20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Washington
1. The state of Washington was named after the first president of the United Sates. No, other state in the country is named after a President.
2. Settle has always been home to a lot of different innovation. It was the first city in the country to offer a unique dining experience to diners with the first revolving restaurant, in 1960.
3. They saw when Johnny Appleseed cam to Washington he planted more apple trees in the state than anywhere else. The apple trees grow wonderfully in the local climate and so has made Washington the number one place for Apples in the US.
4. Washington state is still pretty far north in the country. It still has thousands of glaciers that have not melted from the last ice age. These glaciers can be seen and explored.
5. Most state capitol buildings are built with a dome. In modern times, many of these domes are no longer being built on the new ones. Washington State was the last state capitol building to be built with a dome.
6. Boeing is the world’s leading manufacture on building planes. The largest airplane assembly plant in the world is located in the state of Washington Boeings final assembly plant.
7. The wealthiest man in the world right now is Bill Gates the founder of Microsoft. He makes his home in Everett, Washington
8. Washington has the most northwestern point of the continental United States. It is located in Washington Olympic peninsula.
9. King County, Washington is the only county in the US to be renamed after the equal rights activist Martin Luther king.
10. One of the largest mountains in the United States is in Washington, Mt Rainer.
11. The largest and still active Volcano in the United States is Mt Helena.
12. Washington has some unusual monuments including a floating bridge. This floating bridge connects Evergreen point from Settle to Medina across Lake Washington.
13. One of the worlds leading guitar player and writer in rock n roll history was born in Seattle, Jimi Hendrix. He died of a drug over does in the late 1960s
14. The oldest gas station that is still in operation today sits in downtown Zillah. It is a testament to old world family values and has been passed down to sons for over 8 generations.
15. The state insect was designated by the legislative assembly in 1972, the Green Darner Dragonfly. It is the largest and most brilliant of the dragon fly species.
16. The home of soft-serv ice-cream is located in the state of Washington. The first Dairy Queen opened in Olympia in 1942.
17. The largest and most successful coffee chain in the world was founded in the city of Seattle, Washington. Starbucks have annual revenues in the billions.
18. Spokane, Washington had the tribute honor of hosting for the first time in 1974 the world’s Fair. It is the smallest city the world’s fair has ever been hosted.
19. The largest fleet of water ferries is operated in Washington State. Every year these ferries take over 2 million people annually back and forth to Puget Sound's, although Pungent is the main island that are served with ferries it is not the only one. There are many small islands and peninsulas served by them.
20. Lewis and Clark were the first explorers of the northwest territories to map the regions