- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Africa
The Magic of Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
Cape Town, South Africa
About Southern Africa
- Botswana and Zimbabwe are land-locked countries but South Africa, Mozambique, and Namibia border on the ocean and so have beaches too. Namibia has beaches on the cold Atlantic Ocean which does not encourage swimming but the other 2 countries have beaches on the warmer waters of the Indian ocean.
- Southern Africa has an abundance of birds and bird species and is a paradise a to bird-watchers. Nature lovers are in their element when in Africa, not to mention the bliss that campers, hikers, and rock-climbers experience. Fishing, white-water rafting, and scuba diving are just some of the water activities that visitors can expect in the oceans, dams, rivers, and lakes in the continent.
Map of Botswana
- Botswana is a landlocked country with the emphasis on tourism, for that reason they are well-geared to receive visitors. There are many national parks to visit, waterways to investigate and 4X4 roads to travel. In fact, if you do not own a 4X4 or are willing to hire one, then the major areas will not be accessible to you.
- Because of the landscape, there is a lot of dust in the air and this makes for the most magnificent sunsets. No visitor should enter the country without good camera equipment of at least a small digital camera. There is just too much that you would otherwise miss out on.
- The Botswana people are a friendly people and they will assist as far as possible. The country is also stable from a political point of view and that makes a visit enjoyable and safe. It is however an expensive country due to the demand for its game parks and visitors should book in advance for a trip.
There are no fences in the game parks and one should take care not to wander around unless it is safe to do so. Their most important places of interest are:
- The Central Kalahari
- The Okavango Delta
- Chobe National Park
- Makgadikgadi Pans
- Moremi game Reserve
- The Kgalagadi
- Tsodilo Hills
Botswana Salt Pans with Baobab Trees
- Mozambique is synonymous with fishing and diving charters. There are a number of islands along the coast and divers go to the many coral reefs in the vicinity for scuba diving. Fishing and diving charters can be arranged from the mainland as well as from the islands. Getting from island to island is easy, just hop onto a small plane and it will take you there.
- The long coastline offers beautiful stretches of beaches with the warm water of the Indian Ocean at hand for a swim of just to cool off.
- The country has wildlife and game reserves complete with bush camping for those who are not going to Mozambique for the sea activities. Niassa is a 42000 sq. km. game reserve in northern Mozambique with animals such as elephant, buffalo, lion, hyena and leopard. The reserve lies next to the Lugenda River and offers accommodation in the form of safari camps.
- Mozambique is the place we go to if we really want to eat prawns; yes you guessed it, they are famous for the size of their prawns and for the Portuguese style way it is cooked.
Places of interest in Mozambique are:
- Quirimbas Arquipelago
- Bazaruto Island
- Ponta de Ouro for luxury and swimming with the dolphins
- Maputo, the capital
What Mozambique looks like
- Mozambique Travel & Holidays | Inhambane and Vilanculos Accommodation
At Mozambique Tourism we offer a variety of holiday accommodation including resorts, hotels, safari and camping facilities. We also provide you with
- Mozambique - general country information
Essential travel info on Mozambique, including time, currency, international dialling code, food and drink, health, language, visa, weather and climate
Botswana or Mozambique?
Swakopmund and welwitschia plant
- Namibia is an arid region with the Namib Desert a well-known attraction of the area. It is from this desert that the country got its name. Roads are predominantly gravel but in an overall good condition. The Welwitschia is an ancient plant of the desert and spotting one causes extreme excitement.
- The country is visited as a hunting destination with many game farms offering hunting opportunities. The Etosha National Park is the major game park of the region although Khaudom further to the north is popular too. Other parks in the region include: Muumuu, the Ai-Ais Richtersveld Transfrontier Park with South Africa and the Namib-NauKluft Park.
- Ai-Ais is the main hot springs destination of Namibia and it is here that the entrance to the Fish River Canyon can be found. A 5-day hiking route down the Fish River Canyon finishes here but for those who do not relish the 53 mile 5-day hike in a river bed, you can view the second largest canyon from a number of viewing points.
- The whole country is beautiful; any who has ever been there will tell you of the beauty of the land and the stars at night but the top Places of interest are:
- Skeleton Coast
- Etosha National Park
- Fish River Canyon
- Damaraland and the Kaokoveld
Mother cheetah and her cub
- Namibia Africa Travel & Tourism | Wildlife Safari Vacations & Tours
Visit tourist-friendly Namibia and experience Africa at its most authentic, beautiful and immense.
The beautiful Southern African country: South Africa
World's End, Kgalagadi
4. South Africa
- South Africa is a diverse country with diverse cultures, so come prepared for variety. No less than 11 official languages and that many different cultures. The landscape varies from province to province and can be wet and cold to dry and hot.
- Cape Town and Table Mountain are world-renowned destinations and there are good reasons for this. The mountain is spectacular and unique, and the beaches are many and different from coast to coast. The wine lands in the Stellenbosch area is a must-see and wines should be tasted in as many of the wine farms in the Boland as can be managed.
- Wildlife experiences abound in South Africa and luxury as well as bush accommodation will satisfy the needs of every visitor. Do it the self-drive, fly-in or tour-operated way, but get it done. There is an abundance of animals, birds, insects, reptiles and trees. Plant life varies from lush and green to arid and scarce.
- The Orange River is the major water way and big dams have been built is this river and tributaries.
Places of interest:
- Table Mountain in Cape Town
- The wine lands in Stellenbosch and Paarl
- The Garden Route
- The Drakensberg Mountains
- The Kruger National Park
- The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- The smaller game parks in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Magaliesburg and the Meander
- Addo Elephant Park
- Unfortunately Zimbabwe has deteriorated due to political conflict although they are getting their act together again. Touring the country with either a tour group or by way of an Overlander present no problem.
- They have the Big 5 in Zimbabwe and mostly in the Hwange National Park. Gonarezhou means “Place of many elephants,” but whether there are still many elephants in the Gonarezhou National Park is an open question.
Places of interest:
- Victoria Falls
- Hwange National Park
- The Matopos
- Kariba Dam
- Mana Pools
Aerial view of the Victoria Falls Bridge
Things to pack