7 Interesting Facts About South Korea
1. South Korea Has A Population of 50 Million
South Korea has a high population density of more than 10 times the global average. Most South Koreans live in urban areas. Seoul is the largest city with a population of nearly 10 million. Seoul is also the capital and boasts the world's fourth largest metropolitan economy behind Tokyo, New York City, and Los Angeles.
2. South Korea Is Very Ethnically Homogeneous
The percent of inhabitants having Korean ethnicity is over 99%! Most of the population has similar culture and traditions.
3. The Number Four Is Considered Very Unlucky
This is because it is a homonym with the word "death." In fact, most buildings do not even have a fourth floor!
4. Public Drinking Is Allowed
In South Korea it would not be unusual to see someone drinking in a park or while walking along the street.
5. South Korean Taxis Are Color Coded
Some are more luxurious and expensive than others and you can tell what kind of taxi you are getting by looking at the color.
6. South Korea Is Very Advanced In Technology
In fact, it is home to some of the world's biggest technology companies including Samsung and LG as well as car makers Hyundai and Kia.
7. South Korea Has Some Of The Biggest Shopping Malls In The World
I have to admit, this fact makes me a little bit jealous. In fact, some of South's Korea's shopping malls are bigger than a small town!