- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Asia»
- Eastern Asia
8 Fun Facts About Tokyo!
1. Tokyo Was Originally Named "Edo"
Back when Tokyo was just a small fishing village is was named Edo. It's name was changed to Tokyo in 1868 when it became the imperial capital of Japan. The name Tokyo translates to "Eastern Capital"
2. When Visiting Tokyo, Don't Count On Seeing Mount Fuji
Although it's well within viewing distance of the city, the mountain is only visible about 80 days a year!
3. Tokyo Has Rumored Haunted Houses On Nearly Every Street
According to some, the overall best place for ghost hunting is Komine Tunnel. A little girl in a red dress has been said to haunt it.
4. Tokyo Is Home To The World's Most Expensive Restaurant
Aragawa, is a steakhouse that will cost you at least ¥35,000 per person. It specializes in Kobe beef. This is definitely not a good place to go for a cheap date!
5. You Will Find Some Surprising Things In Tokyo Vending Machines
Items you can buy from vending machines include wine, beer, condoms, cigarettes, comic books, and hot dogs!
6. Tokyo Is One Of The Safest Cities To Travel To
Crimes against tourists are rare, and even women traveling alone have little to fear in most parts of the city.
7. Tokyo Has More Neon Signs Than Any Other City In The World
A trademark image in Tokyo is entire streets full of neon lights!
8. Tokyo Is One Of The World's Leading Financial Centers
The Tokyo Stock Exchange is the 3rd largest stock exchange in the world behind New York and London.
- 5 Fun Facts About Indianapolis!
Here are five interesting facts you might not know about the capital of Indiana!
- 8 Fun Facts About Las Vegas!
Check out these fun facts about Sin City that you probably never knew!
- 7 Interesting Facts About Washington D.C.!
Here are seven fun facts about Washington D.C. that you probably didn't know!