A History of the Butchart Gardens
How did it start?
The Butchart Gardens is a collection of floral exhibit gardens situated near Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, in Vancouver Island Canada. The gardens welcome more then one million victors each year. The gardens are now a National Historic Site of Canada, due to their international reputation.
In 1904, the Butchart family based their home near Tod Inlet near their cement quarry in North Saanich, in order to supply the Northwest cement.
Three years later, 65-year-old Yokohama native, garden designer Isaburo Kishida initiated the Japanese garden.
Two years later, when the limestone quarry was out of print, Mrs. Jennie Butchart set about transferring the site into the Sunken Garden, which finalized in 1921. The family Butchart called its home “ Benvenuto”, an Italian word that means welcomes, and started to host visitors to its gardens.
In 1929 the family decided to change its kitchen vegetable garden to a large rose garden, which was designed by Butler Sturtevant from Seattle.
On the eve of world war and on his 21st birthday, the grandson of the Butcharts; Ian Ross inherited the gardens from his grandparents. He was deeply devoted to the family project in which he was very involved in until his death at the age of 75.
The Gardens is still within the Butchart family; the proprietress and managing director since 2001 is Robin-Lee Clarke the Butcharts' great-granddaughter.
In 1982, the Canadian pavilion opened at the Epcot Centre (In Orlando Florida) used the Butchart Gardens as an inspiration for its gardens.
Where is it?
© 2015 Sidi Mohamed Raji