Plan Your NYC American Girl Doll Store Visit in New York City
Getting an American Girl doll is really special, and it is even more so if you are able to take your daughter to an American Girls store so that she can pick out her new doll. Unless you live in one of the big cities that are home to American Girl stores, you might want to plan a mini-vacation around your visit to the store.
American Girl stores are now in sixteen locations across the US. You may want to pick a location that is closest to you, or maybe somewhere you have never been before. New York city has one of the biggest American Girls doll stores, with 3 floors of goodies to look at.
Each American Girl store is a little bit different. The NYC store is bigger than most and is one of the three flagship stores. New York was the second American Girl store location, opening in 2003, and it is called American Girl Place.
Here you will find information about American Girl Place New York, and information about the surrounding activities and restaurants.
Services At the American Girl Store - New York
- Shopping : Several floors of goodies will entertain you and your daughter. Everything is displayed beautifully and is usually stocked well. If something is not out, just find one of the many salespeople and they will check in the back for you. You can even arrange for a Personal Shopping Assistant (for no extra charge!) to help you with your in-store experience.
- On the First Floor you will find the Bookstore and My American Girl dolls, outfits, and accessories.Souveniers specific to the NYC American Girl store (T-shirts, etc... ) can be found here too.
- On the Second Floor you will find the Historical Character dolls with their clothes & accessories.
- The Third Floor houses the Bitty Baby collection of dolls, clothes and accessories.
- Dining: Dining at the American Girl Cafe: On the Third floor, there is a restaurant that serves brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. They can also host special parties here too. The AG Cafe does a really good job of making this dining experience special. They provide Treat Seats for your child's doll to sit at the table with you, and lots of other little extras. TIP: You can purchase these treat seats at the store, but they are not available to order online. So if you want one, buy it at the store!
- Call 877-247-5223 to make reservations ahead of time as this is a very popular thing to do when visiting the store. If you didn't make reservations, you can always check at the desk to see if there is room available.
- Brunch starts around 9:30am and is $19 per person.
- Lunch seatings begin at 11:00 am and runs $24 per person.
- Afternoon tea is at 4:00 pm, cost is $20 per person.
- Dinner is at 5:30 pm or 7:00 pm with a cost of $26 per person.
- Photo Studio: The American Girl Photo Studio gives your daughter the opportunity to get her picture taken with her doll and put on a souvenir issue American Girl Magazine Cover. She gets to select the background that she likes too!
- These packages cost around $30-50.
- Parents and friends are not allowed to take personal photos.
- No reservations are accepted, so it is strictly on a first come first serve basis.
- The images are not stored, so you can not order more pictures at a later date. Be sure to order the images that you want when you are there.
Remember .... You can't order this from the American Girl Catalog. Make some memories of your special time here.
- Doll Hair Salon: At the American Doll Hair Salon, you can choose from several different pampering options. There is a menu of hair designs - from the double decker ponytail to the curly 2 half pigtails - for her to select. Keep in mind that every hairstyle is not available for every doll. It depends on how long their hair is, but the Doll Stylists will help you with this. Another service that the salon provides is Doll Ear Piercing & a Pampering Package.
- The cost for the hair styling runs between $10-$20.
- The American Girl Doll Ear Piercing costs $14, and includes the classic silver earring collection so she can change the earrings to suit the outfit!
- The other add-on package available at the Salon is the Pampering Plus Package. Here the stylist will give your doll a facial scrub and a set of nail decals to take home. This package is $5.
- This is another popular activity so if this is on your to-do list, be sure to get in line and drop your doll off at the beginning of your shopping trip. After you pay for the service, your doll will be put in line to have her hair done. They will give you a time to come back to pick her up.
- If you want to learn how to recreate these hair do's on your own, there are Special Event classes that will teach you and your daughter just how to do that.
- Plan Your Visit to the American Girl Doll Store : Seattle, WA
Going to the Pacific Northwest? Visit the new Seattle, WA American Girl Store!!
- Celebration Packages: You can plan a special birthday party for your daughter and friends or just a special day for the two of you.
- Cafe Birthday Celebration : includes invitations & thank you notes, meal of your choice, AG cake & ice cream, goody bag & doll tiara, a special keepsake to remember the day. $33 per person, make reservations ahead of time.
- Deluxe Birthday Celebration : this party is held in a private dining room, and includes all of the above plus a table game, a take home craft, and extra time to celebrate. $55 per person, make reservations ahead of time.
- A Day at American Girl Place : for that extra special visit, this package includes a meal for two in the Cafe, a sitting at the Photo Studio & souvenir American Girl Magazine Cover, a session in the Doll Hair Salon, $130 to spend in the store, and souvenir T-shirts for both your daughter and her doll. $260 for one adult & one child, $235 for each additional child. Make reservations ahead of time.
Late Night at American Girl Place : For some after hours fun, this is a real treat. You get one and a half hours of private time, a meal in the cafe, a spectacular Doll Hair Salon event, a sitting & cover at the Photo Studio, and a $40 gift card for each child. $205 per person, minimum of 15 girls, maximum of 25 girls. Make reservations ahead of time.
- Special Events : Throughout the year, each store hosts several special events.This holiday season there is the American Girl at Radio City: Christmas Spectacular event, and the Holiday Wishes event. Check the website for dates and times.
Fun Places for Kids to Eat In NYC
A commonly asked question is where can we go for lunch or dinner besides the American Girl Cafe? You have lots of options - it is NYC after all. Here I will point out the options your kids are most likely to enjoy.
- Ellen's Stardust Diner - our favorite! Very much a diner, but with singing waiters & waitresses. These guys are really good & the food is decent.
- Serendipity3 - Their signature dish is the frozen hot chocolate. What kid won't love that?!?
- Shake Shack - just want a great burger? This is your stop.
- Carmines - a great family style Italian restaurant that gets very crowded, especially just before show times. Make reservations if possible.
- Juniors - This place is a NYC landmark and there is something here for everyone.
Places to Eat in NYC that Kids will Enjoy
American Girl Place New York
Ellen's Stardust Diner
Shake Shack - Location 1/3
Shake Shack - Location 2/3
Shake Shack - Location 3/3
Junior's Restaurant - Location 1/2
Junior's Resaurant - Location 2/2
Hotels with American Girl Packages
Take your vacation a little bit further and reserve an American Girl stay package with one of the NYC hotels that offer them. These packages vary with what is included so be sure to check their website before booking. Here is a list of hotels that offer packages.
- The New York Palace Hotel
- Marriott New York Marquis
- Omni Berkshire Place
- Affinia 50
- Westin NY at Times Square
- Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
Below is a list of other activities and attractions that you might want to make time for while in New York City.
Carlo's Bakery, the bakery featured in the hit TLC show Cake Boss, is just a short PATH train ride away in Hoboken, NJ.
Statue of Liberty, an American landmark that is pretty amazing to see. If you don't have time to visit, you can just take the Staten Island Ferry for a nice ride.
Dylan's Candy Bar, a confection filled candy store. Overpriced, but it really gets the kids excited to see all this candy!
Build - A - Bear, has a huge store just around the corner from American Girl Place. Great alternative for any accompanying siblings that may be jealous!
Ride through Central Park in a Rickshaw or a Horse Drawn Carriage. You'll find them waiting at the entrances of the park.
Visit Central Park is a must if you have time. From the Carousel to the Boathouse, there are plenty of things to do here.
Empire State Building offers an amazing view of the city!
Top of the Rock is an alternative to the Empire State Building that some enjoy more. Plus, you get a nice view of the ESB if you visit TOTR instead.
Museums are abundant in NYC and there are many to choose from. The most popular being the American Museum of Natural History (where Night at the Museum was based) and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. These are on opposite sides of Central Park.
Sony Wonder Technology Lab is a free and fun filled experience that is four floors of hands on activities. You must have free admission tickets to enter. Call 212-833-810.
National Comedy Theatre is an improv comedy show that is family approved. No foul language or iffy subjects - just lots of laughs. Cheap entertainment that your kids will love. Tickets are $15 each, call 212.629.5202.
Hotels Offering American Girl Stay Packages
The New York Palace Hotel
Marriott New York Marquis
Omni Berkshire Place
Westin New York at Times Square
Sheraton Lincoln Harbor
Broadway Shows Kids will Love
Broadway is such a New York thing to do. Don't skip this if you can. These shows are sure to entertain you & your kids! These are Broadway & Off-Broadway shows:
- Mary Poppins
- Lion King
- Radio City Christmas Spectacular
- Phantom of the Opera
- Spiderman - Turn Off the Dark
- Blue Man Group
- Freckleface Strawberry
- Gazillion Bubble Show
- Wicked - Behind the Emerald Curtain
American Girl is focused on experiential retail stores. Do you think it is important to buy your American Girl Doll at the store?
- American Girl Crafts, Games, and Books for Girls and Their Doll
Browse the whole collection of American Girl Crafts ... Girls who are at the age where they love to play with their American Girl doll, usually love to make stuff too. There is a new line of projects and...
- Plan Your American Girl Store Visit : Chicago
The original American Girl Doll store, The American Girl Place - Chicago, focuses on providing little girls with a special retail experience and focuses on making millions of happy memories for little girls. ...
- Legos Sets For Girls
Nobody can argue with the fact that Legos are cool - they build great skills, while allowing a child (or adult) to be creative, but Legos for Girls are even more cool. And we aren't just talking pink legos...
- How to Plan a Trip to the American Girl Stores : American Girl Hotel Packages
A trip to an American Girl Store is a dream come true for little girls. Planning your daughter's first trip to the store is important so that you are both able to get the most out of it. Afterall, the trip to...