- Travel and Places
Are you a Traveling Tightwad?
Anyone who travels on business will recognize the traveling tightwad. It’s the person you observe at the free breakfast buffet or in the concierge lounge gobbling down free food with one hand and slipping more into his or her briefcase with the other.
Some of us may not realize we are traveling tightwads. We may not make hogs of ourselves at the buffet table but there are other telltale signs. Please answer the following questions honestly and review your score at the end to see what type of traveler you are:
- Do the words ‘Per Diem’ excite you?
- Do you purchase one container of bottled water per week and refill it from the office water cooler over and over again?
- Do you stash items from the free breakfast buffet in your hotel room and have them for dinner?
- Have you ever made a sandwich from free condiments? (saltine crackers, peanut butter, and jelly packets)
- Do you have a closet at home filled with little shampoo bottles, hand lotion, and soap bars?
- Would you say that you have never actually purchased a shower cap?
- Do you have enough sample sewing kits to make yourself a winter coat?
- Do you know more than a dozen uses for those free shoe polishing mitts?
- Do all of the magazines in your home have stickers that say “Please return to flight attendant” on them?
- Does your kitchen have a drawer filled with small packets of catsup, mustard, salt, pepper, soy sauce, and mayonnaise?
- Does that box of tissues in your house come from the Hotel Supply Company?
- Do you plan vacations only where there are hotels that honor your rewards points?
- Do you walk through supermarkets grazing on free samples until you have had enough to call it dinner?
- Do your kid’s paper lunch bags have the names of airlines on them?
- When you have company, do you need extra time to put out snacks because you have to open fifty small bags of peanuts and pretzels?
Scoring by Number of Yes Answers
- None - Big Spender
- 1 to 3 - Prudent
- 4 to 6 - Frugal
- 7 to 10 - Cheap but maybe not a tightwad
- 11 to 15 - Probably squeak when you walk